i need to know exactly before i order
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By greenbomb

Thread: i need to know exactly before i order

i need to know exactly before i order

Good evening all, I just got a chain and sprocket set and was planning on changing them this weekend and after looking at some posts i am seeing that a new gasket is needed and some seals..? I have never done this before and i would guess my 22 year old with 10,300 miles has not either(200 are mine). What will i need exactly because my bike is kept up north far from any place that would have what i need. Can I use liquid gasket from a tube? Any special tools besides the sizes in the tool kit? What seals need to be ordered? I've seen posts that mention thread locker and anti seize. What gets what? Any other parts or tools i will need. I would like to do this in one shot. Thank you for your help.

You will need the left side cover gasket. No gasket gunk from a tube should be trusted. It is a smart idea to replace the seals while you are in there. The drive shaft the front sprocket is on has a seal where it exits the internal engine and also a seal in the side cover you remove. The shifter shaft also has a seal where it comes out of the engine. All three of these oil seals might be fine but it is good insurance to replace them.

I would not attempt any of this wrenching if all I had was the on board tool kit at my disposal! Not saying it can't be done but you are opening a can of worms and I highly suggest you have a good tool box with you if you run in to problems. Also, make a template out of cardboard and trace the pattern of the new gasket on it. As you remove each side cover screw poke it in to the corresponding hole of the template so you know where each different screw gets returned to.

This is a fairly straight forward job but you will need a tool to clean off stuck gasket pieces from the side cover and engine mating edge. Chances are good the the tiny screw driver in your tool kit will not get the side cover screws out. Pulling the seals will be another issue. There is a tool like a cork screw to get them out. I used a tiny drill and a dry wall screw to pull them. Now for my personal opinion on this. Doing all this work and replacing the seals, gaskets, chain and sprockets is best done by a competent wrencher with real tools and if you are going cheap with a stock roller chain rather than an O or X ring chain it is a lot of work for not many miles of insurance. You will be adjusting the chain regularly and wearing out your sprockets much quicker with a cheap chain.

You our can lay the bike on its side and avoid doing an oil and filter change or dump the oil and refill when you are done.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 06-27-2014 at 04:04 AM.
    williamemack, B-dub and Mel like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Gary, thanks for the reply, and advice I think I will just bring my bike home with me, it seems like a bigger job then I expected and I will be doing the mirror perch also. We have a lot of tools at our cabin, but it always seems to happen that there is one tool or size of socket that I can't find when working on a snowmobile or what not, and it is after 5pm on a Saturday and everything is closed on Sundays.I definitely would not just use the toolkit unless it was some sort of challenge with a large cash prize at the end. I also am going to do the steering head bearing, and clutch plate and springs while I have it home.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good plan Rob! The on board tool kit can get you out of a jamb some times but it is not designed for doing any serious repairs.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

just having completed a sprocket and chain swap on a 2004.....the extras I needed were the two bolts that hold the plate on the engine/outer seal..and the washer locks on the rear wheel....nothing ever goes as planned for me

If the front sprocket is good just thread another non Oring chain into it . I usually get two chains per sprocket if I keep ,it well oiled with real chain lube, Hate rusty , dirty chains
    fielding likes this.
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Ccan why did you need new bolts and the washers? I'm trying to get my order together

sorry for the late reply....I bugger up the head trying to take them out off the guard on the inside seal.

Sponosred Links