Oil filter with no holes, how bad could it be?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Oil filter with no holes, how bad could it be?

Oil filter with no holes, how bad could it be?

I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 1991 TW with 6,060 miles on it. It didn't run, but with a new battery and the carb apart a few times(anyone have a trick to get float bowl pin out), it runs! I haven't rode my ZX1000r ninja since.... Anyway I put about 500 miles on and decided to do an oil change. Went to Cycle Gear and picked up a K&N 143, opened box to make sure there are 4 holes as it has been made clear this is very important. Grabbed two bottles of Motul 7100 20/50 and headed home. When I pulled my filter out much to my surprise, the filter had no holes in it. It was running good when I dropped the oil.

Is the motor damaged? What type of damage is done with this filter?

the 4holes feed the top end with oil. No holes, no oil to the valves/rockers. Needless to say, this is bad
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

The carburetor should have a arrow cast near the float pin on one side showing the direction it needs to travel to be removed. A needle nose pliers should be all that is needed.

You definetly want to have 4 holes on the oil filter. Hard to say if or how much damage it might have. I would think if it were to cause a problem it would have been noticeable within the 500 miles you have run it. Hope it turns out ok for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The best, safest thing to do would be to take the head off, and check the cam bushings, valve rockers and guides for damage or blueing, from excessive heat. But since you said it was running great, and since it is a tw200, I bet you could just throw in the new filter and oil, and it may run great for years. Nevertheless, when engine parts that need oil don't get oil, things can go wrong pretty fast, so I'm surprised that it was running so good with little or no oil making its way up to the top.
    Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Lyterx View Post
    ...anyone have a trick to get float bowl pin out,
    Here is an excellent tutorial by jbfla that demonstrates the correct way to remove a float pin without breaking off one of the float pin posts. If you don't do it right, you can break the post off and you will have to buy a new carb. The pictures in there are of a new era (2001 and up) carb, but yours will be similar.

Sorry about the no-hole oil filter. Do you know how many miles it was run with the wrong filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyterx View Post
    I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 1991 TW with 6,060 miles on it. It didn't run, but with a new battery and the carb apart a few times(anyone have a trick to get float bowl pin out), it runs! I haven't rode my ZX1000r ninja since.... Anyway I put about 500 miles on and decided to do an oil change. Went to Cycle Gear and picked up a K&N 143, opened box to make sure there are 4 holes as it has been made clear this is very important. Grabbed two bottles of Motul 7100 20/50 and headed home. When I pulled my filter out much to my surprise, the filter had no holes in it. It was running good when I dropped the oil.

Is the motor damaged? What type of damage is done with this filter?
    Are you sure it had no holes? Not even one? There are filters that do not exactly have 4 holes but at least 2..! Those things are fine...! It might do some damage on the very long run...! But no immediate damage as a filter with no holes seize the engine within 20 KMs...! It is very hard to believe you ran 500 miles with a filter which had NO holes..! With no oil to top end, that's impossible..!
    2006 TW200E (JDM) -> 100% stock, Shinko SR428 front, Bridgestone TW204 rear, 14/45 stock gearing

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am positive there are not any holes in the filter, no part numbers on it either. I have put almost 500 miles exactly on it. Hopefully the motor is ok, but I can't beleive there isn't some kind of wear. After draining the oil pan overnight, there are a few specs of aluminium, and a spec of probably bronze. Seems to run just fine.....

Thanks for the carb info, but it seems I may have bigger problems. Trying to get filter pic off my phone to upload....

Since it is a different design than most of us are familiar with, you could always try (for piece of mind that no damage has been done) putting the filter back on for a minute, starting the engine, and taking out the check oil flow bolt at the top of the engine. If it has good flow, you probably didn't do any damage, but next time....only use the 4 hole one's.
    B-dub likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I put correct filter in filled it up and all seems good! Time will tell.

It would not have lasted 500 miles . JUST RIDE
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links