Bouncing, Shaking or shimmy, what ever you. may call it.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bouncing, Shaking or shimmy, what ever you. may call it.

Bouncing, Shaking or shimmy, what ever you. may call it.

To begin, yes I searched the forum, to no avail. Perhaps I haven't figured the right sequence of words...

The bike has a hop, that is speed related. I don't notice it below 35, and it clears up after 45. I could cruse at 65 all day, and I do not sense any hop. My thoughts are that my tires are out of balance. It becomes worse in any kind of lean. I purchased the bike with under 1000 miles and have put about 5000 miles on the bike in the year since. I tried the normal suggestions posted elsewhere. I have verified the steering head/bearings are good. I checked the forks, replaced the oil, and set them up as per instructions found on the site. I also put Ride-on in the tires, as per the instructions from the manufacturer. Still bounces. So I followed other advice about balancing the tires, and I think it's the ride-on, but I can't find a "heavy" spot. It "moves" every time I put the tape on the tire... I still have the original rubber, and it is in good shape. If it matters the bike is a 2010 and almost all of my riding is street. I live in a No Fun state, and offloading anywhere near me is strictly verboten!

Anyway, at this point I am thinking of purchasing a new front tire. I'm also wondering if new fork springs are in order. I'm not a heavy guy, 165 with a full stomach, so I can't imagine I want heavier springs. So any advice? Like "it's the tire," or "its just the way the bike is, get used to it". Or...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by MSWRC; 06-28-2014 at 07:50 AM.

It does sound like a tire problem or a balance problem. I would take the wheel off and take it to a motorcycle shop and have them check the balance. You tried Ride-On, which I use myself and have been very pleased with. If it checks out to be out of round or off balance, then you know what to do after that. Either they can balance it and all will be fine or you need a new tire most likely. Try a Shinko 244 Golden Boy for a better front tire and use the Ride-On again. Please keep us posted. I don't think it is the springs and with your weight, they are probably fine and don't need to be changed.

*if there are balance weights now on the bike's front tire, take them all off and see if the Ride-On will do it's job. Otherwise, yank the tire and rim off and take it to the shop to be checked out.
    Last edited by littletommy; 06-28-2014 at 08:11 AM.
    ZDR1 and admiral like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Good advice ^^^^ No doubt they will check the spokes to make sure they are tight, and that the wheel is true. I've never heard of it on a motorcycle tire, but I've seen car tires that bounced because of an internal separation or flaw in the tire's construction.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've got 4000 miles on my front tire and the knobs are worn very unevenly. I consider my tire about totally whipped with 4000 miles on it. You have even more miles than mine. I'm thinking a new tire should fix you right up.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I've got 4000 miles on my front tire and the knobs are worn very unevenly. I consider my tire about totally whipped with 4000 miles on it. You have even more miles than mine. I'm thinking a new tire should fix you right up.
    Agreed !! On my bike and my wife's the front tire wore so bad by 5,000 miles it would make the bars vibrate so bad it made my hands feel funny..... Put new tires on and that solved the problem.. I'll never put the front stock tire back on again.. OMM.

I hear you all saying it is the tire. I was thinking of getting the golden boy as recommended. It seems no one has anything but good to say about that option and I like the knobby look even though my riding is mostly street.

So you know, it had the bounce since I got the bike. It just seems worse of late, or perhaps I'm just getting sick of it. It is good to know (sort of) that this is not normal. You all gave some good advice. I hadn't thought about the wheel not being true, so I will take a look at that as well.

I went and looked closer at the tire, and did notice that the "back" of the knobbie, is worn closer than the front, if that means anything, and for what it's worth, there are no wheel weights on the front wheel. There were some on the back but I took them off when I added the Ride-on.

Thanks again for the advice, and I will keep you posted.
    Last edited by MSWRC; 06-28-2014 at 05:37 PM.

rbm
    Lift the front of the bike and spin the wheel, can you see any flat spots or is it out of round?

This price is hard to beat with free shipping. 244 5.10 18 . Shinko 244 Dual Sport Front - Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore $59.99

I dont see how you could balaance it if you have ride on in the tube? Its always moving. My first sr244 was out of round just a little and it would hop up and down just a little. I forget what speed it was the worst

Quote Originally Posted by small's View Post
    I dont see how you could balaance it if you have ride on in the tube? Its always moving. My first sr244 was out of round just a little and it would hop up and down just a little. I forget what speed it was the worst
    That is exactly what I thought; that once you put Ride-on in there you could not balance it the normal way, but I tried anyway...

I will check for out of round as well.

What I still don't understand is why it goes away over 45mph. Is it possible that there is something harmonic about it?
    Last edited by MSWRC; 06-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links