2003 TW200 Completely Dead - Fuses are good... - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2003 TW200 Completely Dead - Fuses are good...

I'd start by load-testing the battery. I encountered a battery last week that showed good voltage, but the instant you turned the bike on it went dead. If you can kick-start it, that seems to suggest the wiring and charge system are working, assuming you had lights operating after starting. Also, double check the battery connections. It's possible to have voltage showing, but not getting enough current to energize the lights and starter.
    Fred and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2015 TW200 "The Police Bike"
    2007 TW200 "My Little Thumper"
    1989 FZR400R...I'm getting too old for this $hit

Update:
    - fuse continuity good. (I figured as much as I had 12.7vdc getting to the ignition switch)
    - Key switch removal complete.
    Key switch inspected. See picture. I did not clean anything as it looks great to me. I think ithe contacts have dielectric grease on them from the factory.
    Multimeter/continuity test complete: Key OFF: Red/Brown wires circuit interupted (no BEEP) ; Key ON: red/brown wires circuit complete (BEEP)
    I conclude my key switch is good, but I'm not a auto mechanic, just a tinkerer/hacker.

TW200-main-switch-inside.jpg

- Battery removed and load tested. It was good as it should be. Brand new Xtreme AGM XTAZ7S from Batteries plus. Yes, before I installed the new battery I wire brushed the battery cable crimp terminals as they were 'darkish' but nothing alarming. they shined brightly when I was done wire brushing them. I also cleaned up the crimps on the trickle charger battery cable.

So, it seems to me everything is good from battery past the main/key/ignition switch.

I'll snoop around the wire loom some more. So far, everything looks in good order. I'll try some continuity tests and such.

Question: the owners/service manual only shows one fuse. Anyone know if a '97 only has one fuse?

Any clues to likely culprits I should focus on? The electrical system just up and died after a 30 mile high speed run to the parts store. It died at the parts store, in a panic, I tried the kick starter and the bike fired up on one kick, i got it home and there has been no sign of life since.

This is frustrating as I just took the bike out of mothballs. It is in great condition, always stored indoors, never out in the rain that I recall, and scheduled maintenance followed. Just a new battery and carb kit installed and the thing fired right up and was a blast to ride. I miss that joy and need to bring it back! Then, I can do fun tasks like adding the JNS led light, rear rack and soft tailbag.

I'm likely going away this weekend so I probably won't have another update for a few days unless I get some time tonight after work. Like any of you, I'll be obsessed with solving this mystery problem until it has been solved.

Thanks to all and keep the rubber side down
    Last edited by yiotta; 08-09-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

TeeDub lives! But I don't know what the problem was/is. Tonight after work I got out the multi meter and tested power leads from the front of the bike because I had already chased it up to the headlight and that was fine. All tests successful from the front. Unsure what to do next, I put the bike back together, turned the key and JOY....dash and head lights again. Start button spun the starter. Sent

So, some type of bad connection???!!! I'll be sure to reply again if a similar problem arises.

To celebrate i treated the bike to a JNS led headlight that I just ordered for night safety.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Happy to hear the problem is resolved!

My best guess is it is/was a flaky ground to the battery. I used to work on print systems that had more wiring than the space shuttle, and the three issues we encountered were:

1) ground corroded.
    2) flex stress/break in a wire.
    3) high resistance short, the worst to diagnose.

Enjoy your rediscovered friend!!!
    2015 TW200 "The Police Bike"
    2007 TW200 "My Little Thumper"
    1989 FZR400R...I'm getting too old for this $hit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links