Horn intermittently Honking (on its own!)
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Horn intermittently Honking (on its own!)

Horn intermittently Honking (on its own!)

I replaced a dead horn on my TW, and the new one is working... too good. It likes to beep all on its own. It seems to happen more on rough terrain, but not exclusively on rough terrain, and not every time I hit bumps. It's a bit random, wondering if anyone can troubleshoot for me?

its a bit embarrassing pulling into a gas station honking away

thanks!

It's a simple electronic circuit. Just follow all the wires and make sure nothing is loose. If the wires are fine, the switch may need attention.

I've been told TWs are babe magnets but a Horny TW is just too much. Sounds like a pinched wire or ground faulted switch.
    Zack likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses.

I pulled the switch apart and that was an adventure getting it back together. It was dirty but no obvious problems with the wiring and such.

Tracing the horn wires only takes me back to the top frame where they disappear into the main wiring loom... Not sure I want to go taking that apart. Any specific ideas or easy tests?

What year is it? If it's an 87 I would have a wiring diagram to send you. I just realized the importance of reading and understanding wiring diagrams as I've been going through a TW's wiring for the last couple days. They are very helpful.
    Zack

2001 model, if that makes a difference? Thanks for the offers of help.

(thinking aloud here) The brown wire coming to the horn is a positive, that should always be live when the key is on. A quick test could verify if it is. The pink wire goes to your switch which just grounds it, to activate the horn. You could try to put a voltage tester on the pink wire (disconnected from the horn) and positive battery terminal, and push the button on and off to see if it functions properly. If that all works good, then maybe try bumping around on the handlebars to see if that makes the tester show voltage? To see if your getting a good ground, you could test between the positive terminal, and the black wire inside the switch. If you get no ground, then follow that black wire to see if its a bad connection somewhere? Or maybe test for continuity between the black wire and the pink wire while you wiggle the switch. There should be none if the button is not pressed. I dunno, it's hard to help fix electrical problems from across the world.

I like to see people trying to fix there own problems like that though. Good job, and I hope you get it fixed. Nothing as rewarding as fixing something yourself, and making it work great. I run a small moto repair shop here in Haiti, and I love the feeling as a happy owner drives away with his problem resolved. The feeling is even better when it's your own bike.
    Zack

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    (thinking aloud here) The brown wire coming to the horn is a positive, that should always be live when the key is on. A quick test could verify if it is. The pink wire goes to your switch which just grounds it, to activate the horn. You could try to put a voltage tester on the pink wire (disconnected from the horn) and positive battery terminal, and push the button on and off to see if it functions properly. If that all works good, then maybe try bumping around on the handlebars to see if that makes the tester show voltage? To see if your getting a good ground, you could test between the positive terminal, and the black wire inside the switch. If you get no ground, then follow that black wire to see if its a bad connection somewhere? Or maybe test for continuity between the black wire and the pink wire while you wiggle the switch. There should be none if the button is not pressed. I dunno, it's hard to help fix electrical problems from across the world.

I like to see people trying to fix there own problems like that though. Good job, and I hope you get it fixed. Nothing as rewarding as fixing something yourself, and making it work great. I run a small moto repair shop here in Haiti, and I love the feeling as a happy owner drives away with his problem resolved. The feeling is even better when it's your own bike.
    If the pink wire is ground, you'll want to have your meter on the continuity setting and connect the meter leads to the pink at the horn (disconnected) and battery ground(not positive), when you push the button you should have continuity.

Thanks guys, I'll get back to it ASAP

Sponosred Links