rear drum issues
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gamorg02

Thread: rear drum issues

rear drum issues

long story short i took the rear wheel apart today to true it up. Ended up breaking a spoke so I had to take the drum off to remove and reinstall a new spoke.

After re-assmebly twice in the wheels revolution the rear drum would stick with very light pressure. Think the wingnut barely on, but I had about 3/8" thread sticking out of the wingnut before.

I've tried re-assembling on the bench and putting pressure on the axle thru but it won't stick then. I loosened the drum and tightened it back down and that helped a bit, now its slightly sticking in one spot.

Anyone ever have an issue like this?

I measured the distance its 109.4-109.6 across 8-10 different spots on the drum. I also don't think it was doing this before disassembly i've had the rear wheel off a few times and always spin it before i take it off the lift, just wondering if I'm missing something obvious. If it was a sticky cam it wouldn't chose the same spot every time eh? No marks or anything on the inside of the drum.

So i've loosened the wing-nut but now its too much play in the lever, and if i hold it where it sticks in that one spot, the rest of the rotation is perfect.

Is it normal to have a 1/4" band of 'rust' below and above where the shoes go on the drum?

just looking to see if I missed something here, much more accustomed to hydraulic brakes.

TIA!

What has worked for me a couple of times is to roll the bike backwards about walking speed and then slam the rear brake on hard. I didn't use more than about 5 feet to do this. What was wrong or why it worked I have no idea but afterwards the brakes worked great. Maybe something to do with aligning the shoes ????

Keep us posted in what you find out. Tony
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Is the spring by the brake foot lever working good?
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had this happen to me after adjusting the chain. Would roll backwards but grab turning forward (on jack). I backed off the axle nut (65 ft-lb) one hole and the problem went away. Is there a way to center the brake shoes in the drum?

You could try measuring from the outside edge of the drum up to the flange where the spokes go through, in a couple different places. I've never never taken that apart before so I don't know if it would be possible for the drum to be slightly off centre, but it looks like if it was it could definitely cause those kinds of problems.
    Zack

so the drum was sitting ever so slightly off centered, which was evident when i tried a new pair of shoes i had laying around and the axle would no longer line up perfect. so what I did was I mounted it all up and hung a weight off the pedal to put the brake on then tightened the 3 nuts. previously i could actually feel the pulsing in the lever. should be good now. went out on a ride and the same feeling came back once, but could have been crud in the drum, a few seconds of hard braking fixed the issue on the fly. will be checking it now that im back make sure it doesn't feel like its binding. i think the rear wheel needs some work anyways, new spokes and theres a dent on one side. thanks for the help everyone!
    Zack likes this.

On a side note, where does that rubber ring go? Mine is pushed up against the hub as far as it can be. Seems to me it should possibly go over the gap between the drum and the shoe carrier to block out crud? i dunno...

Sponosred Links