Bike idles like a dream but splutters and dies on open throttle???
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bike idles like a dream but splutters and dies on open throttle???

Bike idles like a dream but splutters and dies on open throttle???

Hello everyone

Am i correct in saying: If my bike was running like a dream on a long sandy road and then wala, out of the blue she cant open throttle past idle because she stutters and quits. Whoever always returning to a perfect idle.
    1. i inserted a new globe for the headlight 3 days prior
    2. I filled a half a tank of gas the previous day

Should i start with changing the fuel and then carb?
    Last edited by kemp.darryl; 07-04-2014 at 06:10 AM.

rbm
    Has the bike been sitting without running for long? Did you recently fill it up with gas? Sounds carb related to me. Will it get past the stumble and run OK at high revs?

Lucus Deep Creep Fuel Cleaner or Seafoam
    3oz for the tank.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I recently struggled with the same thing. It was running rich and stumbling at about 1/4 throttle. I removed the carb and checked everything out. After installing, it did the same thing. I had great spark at the plug but it was black and sooty.

It ended up being a mouse nest in the airbox slowing airflow. Stinking mice.

I'd pull the plug and see what color the ceramic is. If it is black, you are either getting too much fuel or not enough air.

Let us us know what you find. Good luck!

Mine was lugging around yesterday and then the bike kept dying when i opened the throttle. Thought i was gonna push my bike all the way home. I opened the airbox cover up and saw a white paste at the bottom. Also the yellow plastic contaminant/excess tube behind the carburetor on the left side of the bike was full of that paste. Apparently i sprayed too much air filter oil on the foam. I decided to give her a good rinsing so it's mostly water now and squeeze excess out. Hopefully she runs better.

Sounds like that should help.

Even after cleaning the air filter foam, the bike is still lugging and dying. I think i might not have seated the cam chain tensioner after inspection and the spring is still compressed all the way. I will check that and also flip the intake valve cover upside down as i see the inside shape is assymetrical. I hate myself for tinkering with the engine when nothing was broken

Quote Originally Posted by docjekyll2002 View Post
    Even after cleaning the air filter foam, the bike is still lugging and dying. I think i might not have seated the cam chain tensioner after inspection and the spring is still compressed all the way. I will check that and also flip the intake valve cover upside down as i see the inside shape is assymetrical. I hate myself for tinkering with the engine when nothing was broken
    Did you recently adjust the valves? One time, I had one of the lock-nuts come ALL the way off the adjuster on the exhaust valve. The bike ran but not very well.

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    Did you recently adjust the valves? One time, I had one of the lock-nuts come ALL the way off the adjuster on the exhaust valve. The bike ran but not very well.
    Yikes. Yes i did recently adjust the valves. I found the exhaust locknut had loosed halfway up the adjuster. I readjusted my valves today and made sure to tighten the locknuts real tight. I checked the cam chain tensioner and did an oil change. Tapping noise still present

Quote Originally Posted by docjekyll2002 View Post
    Yikes. Yes i did recently adjust the valves. I found the exhaust locknut had loosed halfway up the adjuster. I readjusted my valves today and made sure to tighten the locknuts real tight. I checked the cam chain tensioner and did an oil change. Tapping noise still present
    My '95 has "loud tappets". I refurbished a '98 and it was VERY quiet. Most here report that this engine (at least the early years) is noisy. The '98 had 6000+ miles, my '95 has 3400+/-. I think they quiet-down as they age. How many miles on yours?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links