Carburator drain screw stripped
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Carburator drain screw stripped

  1. #1
    Senior Member Matojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    216
    So today I was trying to drain the carburator float bowl and stripp the little phillip screw, went to bigger screwdriver stripped a little more, try to catch the head with a flat one and nosing. So I guess now is time to try a screw extractor and see.Its anyone here have the same problem with this particular screw? Losen this screw is the only way to drain the float bowl other than take the carb apart?



    Any information would get a big hugg!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member jbfla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    FL. GA, NC
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by matojo View Post
    ...is anyone here have the same problem with this particular screw?...


    Yes, all the stock screws on the carb are easily stripped. Unfortunately, the carb drain screw is the only one that cannot be replaced with a socket head screw.



    Try the screw extractor.



    I put a bit of anti-seize on the threads of the drain screw to make it easier to remove.




    Quote Originally Posted by matojo View Post
    ...Loosen this screw is the only way to drain the float bowl other than take the carb apart? ...


    Yes, but it's not that hard to remove the bowl, 4 screws... that are also easily stripped. Replace them with steel socket head screws... then be careful not to over tighten them or you may strip the aluminum threads on the carb.







    jb
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

  3. #3
    Senior Member cdsdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, MI
    Posts
    194
    I stripped it trying to drain the carb. It was in way too tight for any screwdriver to loosen. Since I ride it pretty much year round other than a handful of weeks in the winter months I don't see any need to drain the carb. In fact I finally got to ride the last few days after putting the bike away for most of a cold and snowy December.



    Me out on one of my trails today.



    jtomelliott49 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member ZXtasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA
    Posts
    260
    Well well, I had the same problem. Drilled it out...or tried with 2 diff. size left hand bits. Finally asked the Yamaha mech...he said leave it plugged as long as it does not leak. If taking the bike down for more than a few months, just take off the bowl..easy as shown by others. Can also run the bowl dry when you shut her down.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Matojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post


    Yes, all the stock screws on the carb are easily stripped. Unfortunately, the carb drain screw is the only one that cannot be replaced with a socket head screw.



    Try the screw extractor.



    I put a bit of anti-seize on the threads of the drain screw to make it easier to remove.








    Yes, but it's not that hard to remove the bowl, 4 screws... that are also easily stripped. Replace them with steel socket head screws... then be careful not to over tighten them or you may strip the aluminum threads on the carb.







    jb


    Thanks JBfla , Im going to try an extractor first, and try the four little screws that hold the bowl if not...

    Thanks again man!!!

  7. #6
    Senior Member Matojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieStomper View Post
    Well well, I had the same problem. Drilled it out...or tried with 2 diff. size left hand bits. Finally asked the Yamaha mech...he said leave it plugged as long as it does not leak. If taking the bike down for more than a few months, just take off the bowl..easy as shown by others. Can also run the bowl dry when you shut her down.
    Thats a good idea, guess I can ride a little trail near by like ones a week and around town to keep the fluids flowing.

    Thanks Zombie!!

  8. #7
    Senior Member Matojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsdave View Post
    I stripped it trying to drain the carb. It was in way too tight for any screwdriver to loosen. Since I ride it pretty much year round other than a handful of weeks in the winter months I don't see any need to drain the carb. In fact I finally got to ride the last few days after putting the bike away for most of a cold and snowy December.



    Me out on one of my trails today.





    Yes, CDSDavid, that baby was tied in there like a "Tick in a bull" Like I was telling "Zombie" thinking about keeping on ride to keep the flow going.

    Nice play ground you got there, it look like youre having fun!!!

    Thanks and glad to see Im not alone in this!!!

  9. #8
    Senior Member CaptD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FLA
    Posts
    108
    I stripped my drain screw out back in 2007. Didn't have my glasses on, grabbed a #2 philips screwdriver and turned the screw counter clockwise and stripped it right away. Managed to get it out along with some crap that was hanging out in the bottom of the float bowl. Ordered/bought a new one at the dealer and took it to the mechanic at work. He looked at it and dug out his screwdriver kit and after a few match ups gave me the bit to use to put the new drain screw back in the float bowl. It was not a #2 screw head. The bit set that I bought says its a "Bits for Torq Set size is 6 mm. And that's Torq not Torx. I drain it often being careful to reinsert gently and just snug. I carry this screwdriver bit with me when out riding off road cause if I ever ended up drowning the motor (water crossing) I would drain the carb (and perform a few other tasks) before restarting the motor. Capt D.
    2011 WR250R
    2007 TW200
    2007 KLR 650

  10. #9
    Senior Member peruano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lower Rio Grande, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,702
    Hey Folks, Didn't I read somewhere that Japanese fasteners are not standard Phillips heads, but instead have a slightly different configuration in which the end of the drivers is flatter, not so pointed as the typical Phillips driver. The implication would be that for extremely tight bolts, the head of the screwdriver is not engaging totally making it easier to strip. I'll check to see where I read this, but it could be we need a better source for the tools we use to do these touchy fasteners. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

    Hidden Content

    Central New Mexico

  11. #10
    Senior Member Matojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Hey Folks, Didn't I read somewhere that Japanese fasteners are not standard Phillips heads, but instead have a slightly different configuration in which the end of the drivers is flatter, not so pointed as the typical Phillips driver. The implication would be that for extremely tight bolts, the head of the screwdriver is not engaging totally making it easier to strip. I'll check to see where I read this, but it could be we need a better source for the tools we use to do these touchy fasteners. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tom


    Peruano, this screw in the float bowl looks like phillip to me but maybe isnt standard one. I wait to see if you find were you read this.

    thanks Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. float bowl drain screw
    By boylstonrider in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  2. stripped the drain screw on my TK carb!
    By jckosnow in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM
  3. Carb Q.. Nothing out of drain screw?
    By Snake2715 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 06:44 AM
  4. stripped out bowl drain screw
    By phazer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 09:11 PM
  5. Part number for Carb float bowl drain screw?
    By RadV in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Search tags for this page

can you overtighten kawasak carburetor drain screws
,

carburetor drain screw stuck

,
carburetor float bowl drain tw200
,
float bowl drain screw stuck
,
float bowl drain screws seized
,

float drain

,
how do i remove a rounded off carburetor float bowl drain screw
,
miking float bowl drain screw
,
stuck carb drain screw
,
stuck drain screw on carb
,
tw200 carb drain
,
yahamaha tw 200 float bowl drain screw
Click on a term to search for related topics.