Backfiring / Popping downhill?
Close

Backfiring / Popping downhill?

Took the new (well, new to me) tw for a run today, up a few pretty steep hills, through the forest then back down. On downhill 2nd gear seemed to hold it best without riding the brakes too much, but at higher RPM I was getting what I guess I'd describe as mild backfiring... but not really a loud pop just mild pop-pop-pop. With a little throttle it goes away.

Anything I should check or is this pretty normal? '05 just over 2k miles. Valve adjustment maybe? Only had the bike since last week and LOVING it so far. We have a cycle shop in town was thinking about bringing it in for a full checkup, but I dunno, I'm pretty mechanically savvy and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks for my rear racks and other wish list mods.
    Last edited by twTimG; 07-12-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    '05 TW200

Valve adjusting and an oil change won't hurt..! So you can keep track on maintenance schedule of the bike without asking the PO when he did the last oil change or valve adjustment..!

lil backfire on a low gear on downhill sounds like mine..! Mine does that too..! I can only hear hear it if i concentrate very carefully..! even then i'm not sure it's really backfiring..!
    I've ridden it nearly 4000 km after i got it and so far no issues..!
    2006 TW200E (JDM) -> 100% stock, Shinko SR428 front, Bridgestone TW204 rear, 14/45 stock gearing

start with this thread: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...rb-tuning.html

It should answer all your questions. Fyi, the popping can be adjusted away.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A bit of quiet popping on decel is probably nothing to fret over. Does it respond to the throttle well and run good overall? Valve adjustment wouldn't hurt especially if you don't know the last time it was done. Same for the oil change and servicing air filter, chain, etc.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

An air leak in the exhaust pipe an cause popping in the exhaust on deceleration.

Thanks for the replies. Overall it runs really well. Starts right up every time, idles fine, plenty of power & throttle response. Gonna go ahead and change the oil & check the valve adj, check exhaust, etc. Don't really want to dive into the carb yet as it runs fine overall, but this will be a good opportunity for me to get familiar with the bike mechanically anyway I guess. Appreciate the input!
    '05 TW200

Sponosred Links