Cracked Crankcase... what next?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gamorg02
  • 1 Post By Leben

Thread: Cracked Crankcase... what next?

Cracked Crankcase... what next?

Hi Everyone! Against my better judgement, I loaned out my '87 TW and it came back in non-running condition. I noticed a hair-line crack on the crankcase, which I'll either weld or JBweld (it's only a small crack). After talking to the rider, they mentioned that "it just stopped running and wouldn't start again." Obviously it leaked all the oil out and was run until it died out on it's own.

I know all scenarios are different, but looking to get a general consensus on whether or not I should pull the crank and evaluate for a spun rod bearing or worse. In an ideal world, I'm hoping that no damage was done to the rod, rod bearing, or crank. Thoughts? Pull the whole thing apart, or just weld and give it a go?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

yikes . you might be screwed . did you add oil and get it running?
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Does the crank turn? is there compression? I'd answer those questions first. post a pic of damage?
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Was/is there any oil in the crankcase? If there is oil in the crankcase still, drain it and see if there is any metal flakes in it. Also pay attention to how much oil comes out when it is drained. The TW only holds about a quart of oil. Also don't forget to remove the oil filter and see what it looks like. Does the engine turn over? If it just stopped running and wasn't completely out of oil there is a chance it may have stopped working because of another unrelated problem. Let us know what you find so we can offer suggestions.
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    Does the crank turn? is there compression? I'd answer those questions first. post a pic of damage?
    The crank does turn and there is compression. I'll post some pics when I get to a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Leben View Post
    Was/is there any oil in the crankcase? If there is oil in the crankcase still, drain it and see if there is any metal flakes in it. Also pay attention to how much oil comes out when it is drained. The TW only holds about a quart of oil. Also don't forget to remove the oil filter and see what it looks like. Does the engine turn over? If it just stopped running and wasn't completely out of oil there is a chance it may have stopped working because of another unrelated problem. Let us know what you find so we can offer suggestions.
    There was a little residual oil in the crankcase that had not leaked out (around 1/2 cup or so). I didn't see any metal flakes in the case. The engine turns over without starting.

Running out of oil wouldn't keep the engine from running until things start to seize up. Since it turns over I would recommend adding oil then check to see if you have spark at the plug. Next would be to double check that it is getting fuel. (Sometimes as simple as switching to reserve). I'm not saying that your engine isn't damaged, I just want to help figure out why it isn't wanting to start. Let us know what you find. Good luck

Sponosred Links