High Reving Only in 1st Gear
Close

High Reving Only in 1st Gear

Edit-This got posted in the wrong section. Can a Mod move it the tech help area? Thanks

Got brand new carb (old carb style) put on and fires right up but in first gear it sounds like it's going to blow up. Once you bump out into any other gear it stops the high rev and runs normal. I am thinking it's the throttle Adjustment. Could it Also be the spark plug? I put one of those iridium plugs. Any thoughts? Also once you kick it back to first it fires back up to a high Rev.
    Last edited by bluefox; 07-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.

rbm
    First gear is very low, it will rev up quickly. I can't think of any reason the carb would behave differently in different gears.

Idle adjustment too high?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not knowing what the revs are I think your saying in first gear you can run it up to redline and second and third gears it won't reach redline. In that case its a fuel delivery problem . when it is setting the bowl fills with fuel and in first gear if the fuel flow is low it will use up the fuel in the float bowl in first gear and not fill fast enough to allow full throttle in the upper gears . Try starting out in second gear and see what happens . Pull the fuel line and see what the flow is
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
    Edit-This got posted in the wrong section. Can a Mod move it the tech help area? Thanks

Got brand new carb (old carb style) put on and fires right up but in first gear it sounds like it's going to blow up. Once you bump out into any other gear it stops the high rev and runs normal. I am thinking it's the throttle Adjustment. Could it Also be the spark plug? I put one of those iridium plugs. Any thoughts? Also once you kick it back to first it fires back up to a high Rev.
    How does it idle in neutral?

Well I readjusted the throttle screw on the outside and it's better then it was. I got it to almost what I remember. I personally forgot about the variants that the bike is now running with. Mid grade gas and iridium spark plug. Them by themselves I think might have me expecting it will idling differently. Run and started each time afterwards. uploadfromtaptalk1405903433536.jpg

Sponosred Links