91 Octane + sputtering?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 91 Octane + sputtering?

91 Octane + sputtering?

So I filled yesterday with 91 octane 'cuz that's all they had... and the bike noticeably started running like crap today. Sputtering/hesitating at anything under 1/4 throttle. Kinda sucked since today was my DMV skills test. I passed but had to keep it gassed and drag the rear brake through the circle sequence.

Anyway, not sure if it's the gas or what. Thinking I just need to go over everything on this bike anyway. Put 350 miles so far on her since I got it ~2wks ago, no problems 'til today (other than my previous post of backfiring/popping at high rpm's downhill coasting). Seems only change was the higher octane. I talked to the previous owner 2nite, he said all he ever did was change the oil. '05 with 2300 miles. Should I go ahead and just pull the carb, clean everything, lube everything, etc? Also no valve adj. was ever done on this bike yet... I seem to hear a bit of clicking, haven't dug into it yet. Certainly the chain needs lubed and whatever else. Any advice appreciated!
    Last edited by twTimG; 07-23-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    '05 TW200

Hmm. 91 octane just made my fuel too rich and rpms would stay high like crazy. Went back to 87 octane and fuel stabilizer and no problems since.

I've ONLY ran 87 octane a couple of times and even then it was diluted with 91. 91 is my choice 99.99999 % of time. I'd check and adjust those valves. Mine was quite out of adjustment at 800 miles. Stupid question, but was your choke on?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-n-nevada View Post
    I've ONLY ran 87 octane a couple of times and even then it was diluted with 91. 91 is my choice 99.99999 % of time. I'd check and adjust those valves. Mine was quite out of adjustment at 800 miles. Stupid question, but was your choke on?
    No such thing as a stupid question in my book..., but yeah choke was off. In fact it was hard starting this morning and if I added any choke it just died. Hit the starter & just a bit of throttle got it going, but the hesitation through 1/4 throttle stayed throughout the day. Not a HUGE hesitation but enough for you to really feel it while in 1st gear.
    Last edited by twTimG; 07-23-2014 at 11:40 PM.
    '05 TW200

I don't know about these pumps that share numerous fuels in one hose, how much is left from the previous pump grade?

Regarding popping, pinging and poor running, this could be a host of issues totally unrelated to the octane. Valves adjusted to speck, tank clean and free of crud and the petcock should also be cleaned. Pull the carb and make sure there is no crud in it. They can be mighty finicky and just a tiny speck can cause issues. When you put the carb back on it is imperative that both boot connections are an air tight seal. Once the engine is running and warmed up you then play with the pilot adjustment screw. I start at 2 full turns out from the fully bottomed point. This adjustment is probably the most finicky and a twist of less than a quarter turn can make or brake the throttle response. Too rich and your plug will be black and too lean your plug will look almost white. It should have a toasty tan color when properly adjusted. Blaming poor running on the octane of your fuel is meaningless until all other adjustments are checked. Last but not least, knowing your fuel provider is helpful. I don't use stations that have little traffic, the fuel could be old. I never fill up when the station is receiving a fuel delivery, this could stir up crud in the ground tank. An in line fuel filter is a very good idea as is a shot of fuel conditioner such as SeaFoam or Lucas in every tank.

GaryL
    fishguy and Fred like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Just drain the 91 out and top-up with 87. If it is the gas, it should run good. If not, then look at the other stuff.
    Fred and fielding like this.
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

It is easy to drain the tank. Do it. Check ALL the stuff GaryL suggests. Then, refill with 87 octane and a 2x+ dose of SeaFoam or "Lucas Deep Cleaning Fuel System Cleaner". I bet your tank screen(s) is plugged. Did you try switching to reserve just to see if its screen flows better?

yea do what tony said first drain your tank and put the fuel in your car...it will dilute in there...fill with 87 then do the stuff garyl said...

this is from another forum i belong to...

"This might sound strange but something I have learned working 20+ in the petroleum industry. There are so many refineries and companies often get their supplies from the same vendor. There are additives and other items that will vary but the fuel source is the same regardless. What you should do is look for the station that has the highest amount of traffic and if you want to take it a step further, ask the manager when was the last time their tanks were cleaned and what cleaning rotation are his tanks on. Fuel sitting in tanks for a duration of time will do more harm to the quality of fuel regardless of the company sign hanging over the pumps. Ironically, there are times the higher premiums can have quality issues because there is less traffic at those pumps (depending on station and location) and at the end of it...you would be better off getting the lower grade because of the increased traffic going to that pump. Good station with a good tank cleaning schedule that is adhered to and a high volume of customers always going through their pumps...that is what you want to look for. Hope it helps."
    Last edited by Point37; 07-25-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    If the pump you got the gas from shares the same hose for all grades of fuel, then you got very little if any 91 octane. That hose holds about a gallon of what ever was pumped by the last guy before you get 'fresh' fuel through the pump, hose, nozzle and into your tank.

Could be you got bad gas with water in it. Try some seafoam in the tank and run it a bit to see if that dries out the water.

Oh yes, the last guy that pumped gas in that hose used diesel. Just kidding.
    Last edited by fielding; 07-24-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Yesterday I switched to 91 octane and drove 75 miles. It ran perfect. I have a hard time thinking the 91 octane caused what you are describing, but who knows? I would drain it out and put 87 back in and see if it runs normal again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links