49 State vs Cal Carb Q&A - Opinions - Advice?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leisure Time Larry

Thread: 49 State vs Cal Carb Q&A - Opinions - Advice?

49 State vs Cal Carb Q&A - Opinions - Advice?

I purchased a 2006 Tdub a few weeks ago:
    WP_20140724_003_zps959317c4.jpg

This is my first TW. Although I have been riding for over 45 years and have had many motorcycles (currently 7 in the stable) so this is not my first rodeo.

But I have questions regarding the Cal model. I think I have one like that.
    Very interested in opinions and advice on this model. So don't be shy!

What exactly is this thing?
    WP_20140724_002_zps080cc75e.jpg

Do I need it? Can I make my existing CV carb work with out it? Or is that not advisable.
    Is there an advantage to doing away with that canister? (I'm considering adding an oil cooler and would like to use this space for that)
    Also considering adding a Clark gas tank to increase my range and not sure if this canister will be in the way.
    Is there a performance improvement to use a 49 state carb? Or better yet, opinions on swapping to a Mikuni VM round slide (I have a lot of experience with those - I have converted my CX and DR from CV to Round slide Mikuni). I like the instant throttle response.
    I was going to reserve that to a last resort on the TW. So far it runs ok but feels like it should run better / stronger!

Opinions? Advice?
    Last edited by EnduroRdr; 07-26-2014 at 08:52 AM.
    1989 TW200 - replaced almost everything!

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    It's a fuel evaporation canister. Yes, you can loose it if you want, but no it isn't going to hurt anything, rob power, etc. It's been discussed in detail before, and since I'm on my smartphone right now, I'm going to suggest you search for "evaporation canister" or even "what is this thing" on this site. Good luck.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Thanks, I'll search on those key words - I don't suppose the jetting is different on the 49 state version then. I see your sig says washers on needle & 128 main. I'd be interested in how that came about.
    Last edited by EnduroRdr; 07-26-2014 at 06:26 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

In case you didn't find these:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...-but-what.html
    Re: Ca model evaporation canister removal! - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum
    Re: California Carb? - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

A useful quote from one post: "I took mine off just to do it. Cap the port on the carb, and run a line from the port on the tank down where the other vent hoses are, otherwise it'll vapor lock on you (DAMHIK)."

Also, the 128 main jet is stock in the CA carbs! I had a 126 in my 49 stater. With the addition of the evap, I guess they let them put in the larger main. Lots of guys jump to the 130, but my butt dyno felt a huge difference going from the 126 to the 128, but no noticeable increase from the 128 to the 130, and with the 130 I felt it may be running a little rich even. I am at sea level, but do go to higher elevations, so I chose to keep the 128 so I wouldn't get too rich in the mountains. Good luck! -Larry
    Fred likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Thanks for the links - Im thinking if I get a larger Clark plastic tank - I may be forced to remove canister anyway. The clark will have a vented gas cap so it sounds like I just need to plug the carb port for the canister hose.

Sounds good. Just make sure that you are aware of the fitment issues that many have had with the Clarke TW tank. That and many have felt the $200 cost is not worth less than a gallon more. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just want you to be aware of the issues and the other options, such as the metal XT350 fitments that guys have made. Fun bikes, right?
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have often thought that removing or relocating my canister might improve cooling airflow to the cylinder. I always thought it odd that horn and evap. canister seemingly obstruct air-flow.

Sponosred Links