Carburetors old vs new
Close

Carburetors old vs new

what is the difference ?

left side vs right side ??

round top or rectangular ??

any differences in the engine which prohibits switching ??

em

ones a flat slide (or round slide? not sure haven't held one) the newer ones are CV. I imagine there's nothing against changing them both aside from possible throttle cable connections etc.

not sure what left/right side means?

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I know this has been talked about before. Yes, old is a slide carb, and I believe the throttle cables mount on the left side. New is a CV carb and throttle cables mount on the right. I also think that you would have to switch out the intake boots on both sides of the carb as they are different old to new. Yes, it can be done, but at some cost. Try doing a search and maybe elaborate more on your thoughts or plan for more in depth assistance.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The carb boots are a different size and the cv carb cables are on the right and the old one on the left. I think the older carbed bikes make a little more power in the lower half of the rpm range while the cv carbs make more towards the top end of the rpm range. The cv carb isnt as finicky about tuning either.

Quote Originally Posted by small's View Post
    The carb boots are a different size and the cv carb cables are on the right and the old one on the left. I think the older carbed bikes make a little more power in the lower half of the rpm range while the cv carbs make more towards the top end of the rpm range. The cv carb isnt as finicky about tuning either.
    I've got a '96 and a '13 and you are right. The '96 seems snappier at lower RPMs but the '13 seems to get to it's power higher in the rev range.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Both carbs can be made to work on old and new bikes. There are costs involved over and above just the carb. I guess the question might be Why are you asking?

if you have a pre 2001 bike then just buy an old style carb. Post 2001 and you buy a new style carb. I have not heard enough concrete evidence to make such a carb change valuable enough to cover the added expense unless you happen to have a complete but blown motor to scavenge all the parts from.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links