Sprockets
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sprockets

Sprockets

I have to replace the chain and sprockets on my bike. I got a chain, but what brand of sprocket? Was just going to replace with stock Yamaha, but thought about Sunstar or JT as well. What do most of you guys use? Thanks-Glenn.

You can use any sprockets. Most of us get after market sprockets and not necessarily Yamaha. Are you going with a O-ring chain?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I have used both sunstar and JT sprockets with no ill affects.
    goldenhtr and r80rt like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not at this time on the o-ring chain. On a very tight build/rejuvenate budget right now, but I did score a nice tsubaki chain for cheap. I've always been very anal about keeping a chain cleaned and lubed, so for me non-oring is not a big deal. Will probably just go with the Yamaha sprockets then, they seem to be in the same price range as the others. Got this bike (2006) with only 790 miles on it. Previous owner only lubed chain with some sticky white grease crap and mostly east Tennessee clay mud! Sprockets and chain badly worn, that's why the replacement necessary at only 790 mi. I actually got it out for the first time tonight on the pavement. Been waiting weeks till I got enough $ together for title/registration/plate ($205!) Anyway-really nice ride after work tonight, up through river road in Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l park. I think I'm really going to like this bike. First bike I've been on that road with where I kept it in fifth gear the whole time!-Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerglenn View Post
    Will probably just go with the Yamaha sprockets then, they seem to be in the same price range as the others.
    Hi Glenn,

There is nothing wrong with Yamaha sprockets. If you are sticking with the stock sizes, Yamaha sprockets would be my choice also.

Welcome to the forum, you are in a great riding area for the TW!

Brian

Thanks Brian! I sure am lucky to be in such a nice area. Almost all my daily riding roads are no faster than 45mph speed limit anyway. Many, many offroad trails here too. Just have to get used to the high revs of the engine! I know the thing can take it but.....

I think sprockets are sprockets and the OEM from Yamaha is just as good as the JT and I would not be surprised if JT makes the OEM ones. As you already know, keeping the roller chain clean and adjusted is your best defense against premature wear. The O and X ring chains are actually a bargain in the long run and save you both time and money if you can afford the initial outlay.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Chain durability seems to be pretty dependant on how much mud and dust its coming into contact with. I seem to get the same amoount of offroad mileage out of a standard chain that I do out of an oring. I just replaced an oring chain after way less than 1000 miles. I always end up getting a chain and sprocket set off ebay for like $42 cause the shop in town is pretty proud of their wares, and rarely has the sprocket sizes I run (12-55)

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerglenn View Post
    .........................................I've always been very anal about keeping a chain cleaned and lubed....................................
    Ditto! Kerosine wash and soak in 140 wt. gear oil every 300 to 400 miles OR after every dirt ride regardless of mileage. Over 25,000 miles on the present chain but it is getting loose and the sprockets are showing wear.

Next time I am trying an o-ring chain and it will be my first. To many people raving how great they are and I have to find out for myself. Tony
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-Wheel-200 View Post
    I just replaced an oring chain after way less than 1000 miles.

I always end up getting a chain and sprocket set off ebay for like $42 cause the shop in town is pretty proud of their wares...

Those two sentences explain each other. I put an O-Ring chain on my bike at 2,000 miles and it still looks new at 8,000. A good O-ring chain of a good name brand should last quite a while on the TW. I used to get 20,000 miles out of the DID chain and JT Sprockets on the DR650. If you need a chain at 1,000 miles then that must have been a really cheap chain or you are riding in sand every single day.
    GapRunr

Current bikes TW200 * R1200GS ADV * R80g/s * KLR250 Miami Vice Edition * Hawk GT - For sale!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links