need some advice on where to start looking...
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By jb882
  • 2 Post By Jmelarchy

Thread: need some advice on where to start looking...

need some advice on where to start looking...

Hi guys.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Couple of weeks ago I was riding some trails up in the mountains. I dumped my 05 over on the side of a fairly steep hill...was hardly even moving, just flopped over. Because the hill was steep, the bike was as close to being upside down as possible. I got it up, and started(was a little flooded) and putted around the rest of the day no problems. I brought it back home in the back of my truck.

A week later I decide to replace the base gasket/head gasket etc...All went smooth as far as I can tell.

I took it for a ride on the street today, and somethings not right. Bear with me as I try to explain this. When I accelerate through a gear, the first half seems fine. The second half has a slight bog, or hesitation. It does this through all the gears. When I shift gears, I sometimes get a crack out of the exhaust when I let off the throttle(I have a DG-O muffler). I also have an atv tire so normally on flat land it would top out at 65mph, maybe a little more. Now, Im lucky to hit 60mph.

Does anyone have any idea where the problem might be. I thought something might be plugged in the carb, since the bike was upside down for a while. But Im also wondering if I did something wrong when changing the base gasket. I adjusted the intake valve to .004, and the exhaust valve to .006, and would imagine it would run way worse(if at all) if the timing was off. Any advice would be great!

Thanks, Ryan

There is a very secret place in the fuel tank that collects all kinds of crud and is not part of your useable fuel. When you up ended the bike you could have sent the contamination into the main fuel supply.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by rurlndum View Post
    There is a very secret place in the fuel tank that collects all kinds of crud and is not part of your useable fuel. When you up ended the bike you could have sent the contamination into the main fuel supply.
    This, and I'd aldo re-check your valve clearances. Since you've had the engine apart, things may have "settled".

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info guys. Before my trip up to the mountains I had just got done putting a new clarke tank on it, with a clear inline filter. The filter looks clean. I will recheck the valves later this evening.

I'm going to suggest you look into the cam timing as well. Did you double check the cam timing after you put the cam chain tensioner in? If you didn't you might be off a tooth on the cam timing and it will absolutely make it run poorly.

The reason i suggest this is one of my TW's ran very similar to yours after i had it apart and in haste didn't double check the cam timing. Mine felt like a skip in the motor when it was reving high. Low revs it ran fine. I retimed the cam and its fine now.
    B-dub, TW-Brian, admiral and 1 others like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

jb882...
    What your describing is what I'm feeling! I went out and pulled the covers...and I'm one tooth off! I guess I just assumed it would run much worse if the timing was off. THANK YOU so much! I'll get it set properly in the morning. This is such a great forum!

Ryan

Your welcome, let us know how it all turns out.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Fixed! Thanks to all of you!
    admiral and jb882 like this.

Good thinkin jb882 !.

Sponosred Links