tire replacement
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Indiana

Thread: tire replacement

tire replacement

hello all, brand new to the forum so excuse me if I'm in the wrong place or if I'm asking a questiion that has been asked and answered somewhere else. My question is this, i have a 2006 TW 200 recently purchased, with just over one thousand miles on it . tires look great but should they be replaced simply on account of age? thanks, jeff

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Keep an eye on them, if they seem hard or tend to slide/skid on pavement I'd replace them, probably getting close.

Yes! Aged tires are bad. The rubber is dried out. It can crack and peel, and the tread doesn't grab the road as well.

It's not an immediate emergency type of thing, but you will be a lot safer on new tires.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes, change them, but do some reading here first if you haven't already. There is a huge tire thread on here somewhere. Most tires that will fit have been tried by somebody here. Maybe it'll help choose a set that suits your intended riding.
    Fred likes this.

Here are the tires I just ordered. I ordered on Sunday and they were at my house inn NC on Tuesday. 40 minutes later, mounted and test riding. best combo there is. I took off new bridgestone TW road tires.

Amazon.com: Kenda K270 Dual/Enduro Rear Motorcycle Bias Tire - 4.50-18 73C: Automotive
    Amazon.com: Kenda K270 Dual/Enduro Rear Motorcycle Bias Tire - 4.50-18 73C: Automotive
    Chris Reitzel
    Hidden Content
    2007 TW 200
    Too many Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by Little General View Post
    Here are the tires I just ordered. I ordered on Sunday and they were at my house inn NC on Tuesday. 40 minutes later, mounted and test riding. best combo there is. I took off new bridgestone TW road tires.

I may be missing something, but how do those tires fit on a TW200?
    2010 TW200 and Other Stuff

Shinji Kazama is bi-polar. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Hello and welcome! Keep an eye on them, if they seem hard or tend to slide/skid on pavement I'd replace them, probably getting close.
    I bought a used Ninja 250R - tires looked fine and were about 3½ years old by date code: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...te%20Codes.pdf Fine in the dry, but first ride in the wet I almost lost it a couple of time during the first warm up lap and then crashed under moderate braking during the second - no doubt highly impressing Jason Pridmore (this was at Star Motorcycle School).

So I would be cautious in the wet, unless test braking shows they still have decent traction.

Ozone and UV degrade rubber, so the tires will go bad more rapidly on a bike that is parked outdoors a lot, or next to an ozone source such as a old refrigerator in a garage.
    2010 TW200 and Other Stuff

Shinji Kazama is bi-polar. Hidden Content

I have the Shinko Goldenboy SR244 on my wife's TW and my son has it on his as well 5.10/18 Somewhere around $55 with free shipping
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Sponosred Links