Replacement clutch recamendations, stock, EBC?
Close

It may be time for a clutch. I will check the return spring thing first for sure. If I do need a clutch is there any "better" places. I have seen EBC and Barnett and of course factory Yamaha. My bike is a '05 and all stock.

If anyone has a shop manual I would apreciate if I could get the fiber/steels thinckness and the spring height.

Thanks, Dave

Clutch specs from the free manual download http://www.mediafire.com/?34muedntyxz

are on page 4-55

Flyin' Al a tw lover has said......

If you need a new clutch, you need to get ALL the parts. If you do not replace all the parts the new clutch will not work right, and you can damage the clutch basket. You need to replace the clutch plates, the friction plates, and the springs. Also, soak the new clutch plates in motor oil (which you use on the bike) for at least a day before you put on the new clutch.

Use lock-tite on the clutch spring bolts and do not over-tighten. Get a new clutch cover gasket, do not reuse the old one. Lastly, change your oil when you get a new clutch. My clutch was about 80% gone at 13500 miles.

I've only got 2k on my bike so far so I don't have any firsthand info for ya. I wish Al would have noted which strength loc-tite he was using.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forums/45022/ShowPost.aspx

Edit 2013: my clutch fell out of adjustment (just shy of slipping) to the point where I needed to take the engine case off and adjust the clutch basket screw. But I thought screw it and did discs as well.. I'm at 6000 miles
    Last edited by rm_hm; 07-29-2013 at 10:21 PM.

I have a full set of EBC plates & springs but I haven't installed them yet, so I can't say... According to the seller they're good quality at a reasonable price.
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Barnett plates and springs, OEM steels. Soak in oil for several days before installing. Will drag a little when cold. Smooth friction zone. Bullet proof and will last practically forever. Over 30,000 miles on mine, still works like new.

I've used EBC's on several bikes and quads with good results. One thing to remember is stiffer springs mean a stiffer pull at the lever.Also check the clutch basket for chatter grooves on the fingers. If they are not too bad you can smooth them down but if they are real deep then it's new parts time.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but at how many ks/miles are people replacing theirs? Mine's just clocked over 25,000ks and no slip at the moment.

I have a bike with 43,000 km and the clutch sorely needs to be replaced, but also the other two, both nearing 30,000 km, would benefit from new plates.
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

I went with stock and it has worked just fine.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Sponosred Links