first service at the dealer
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: first service at the dealer

So, as many of you know, I just picked up a new TW.

When we loaded it into the truck, the salesperson was adamant about bringing it back at 6-700 miles for the first service.

Do I need to? will it void the warranty? What is so magical that they do? Just want to charge me $200 more?

They just want to charge you $200 more. Warranty is still good either way. As long as you feel comfortable changing the oil, adjusting the valves, cleaning the air filter, and adjusting the chain, don't waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    They just want to charge you $200 more.
    +1

Download the service manual and learn to do it yourself.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...epair-manuals/

It's a good idea to do that first oil and filter change early, at 100 miles or less.

jb
    grewen likes this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 530-TW View Post
    So, as many of you know, I just picked up a new TW.

When we loaded it into the truck, the salesperson was adamant about bringing it back at 6-700 miles for the first service.

Do I need to? will it void the warranty? What is so magical that they do? Just want to charge me $200 more?

I bought mine last spring, and I personally just felt more comfortable knowing that the initial service would be done by an authorized dealership. I figure if something is going to break, it will likely do so in the first few thousand miles, and I just didn't want the hassle of arguing a warranty claim under those circumstances.

I called around and found a Yamaha dealership 50 miles away (versus the closer ones) that would do the 600 mile service for $55 dollars labor (and they even adjusted the carb mixture after test riding it). I upgraded to Yamaha full synthetic 15W50 at the service techs suggestion (and bought an extra quart), so with the oil filter my parts bill was $34. Total was $89. At my request, they also sold me a DID o-ring chain for $70 and installed it for another $10. Grand total, including IL tax and a couple bucks for shop supplies was $179.

Could I have saved myself $65 labor by trying to do it myself?---sure. But I have the peace of mind that everything on the bike was checked-over / then done / and then test-ridden by a Yamaha certified tech with 30 years of full-time experience wrenching on bikes (and I even watched from the doorway, asked a few questions, and learned a few things).

I agree with other posters that the TW is a pretty uncomplicated bike, and with the info available through this forum you could probably do things yourself if you want to. I've given my reasons for my choice. I've also found that some independent cycle repair shops in my immediate area are about $25 per hour cheaper in their labor rates than my closest Yamaha dealers. That might have also been a possibility for me if I had not found the dealer I used (and if I was really on a tight budget). At least a professional shop of some kind might make a warranty claim a little easier than trying to convince Yamaha I had acquired the 'expertise' necessary just by reading stuff off the internet.

Anyway, just my two cents worth on the topic.

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

This makes sense to me. I'm going to break my new TW in somewhat differently than Yamaha suggests, but I plan on getting that first service done by Yamaha techs. And I'll probably do the same things you did and probably for the same reasons. From then on, I'll take responsibility for what needs to be done. But since those first miles are so crucial for the bike's life, I'll trust the pros.

PS: What dealership did you use?

Good advice for me as well. I bought a used 2008, nice to know the service is easy enough to do yourself.

If you feel comfortable with any service, doing it yourself is always nice to save a few $$$$ and that way you know it's done to your specifications
    1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula Hardtop M6 - not stock

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

2007 TW200 - O-ring chain, Moose Racing hand guards and tail rack, Tourmaster tailbag, Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield, Walmart seat cushin

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hobopoet View Post
    This makes sense to me. I'm going to break my new TW in somewhat differently than Yamaha suggests, but I plan on getting that first service done by Yamaha techs. And I'll probably do the same things you did and probably for the same reasons. From then on, I'll take responsibility for what needs to be done. But since those first miles are so crucial for the bike's life, I'll trust the pros.

PS: What dealership did you use?

I live in NW Illinois, and the dealership I used was Gieson Motorsports, in Rock Falls, IL (Sterling / Rock Falls area). http://www.giesonmotorsports.com/default.asp

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    I live in NW Illinois, and the dealership I used was Gieson Motorsports, in Rock Falls, IL (Sterling / Rock Falls area). http://www.giesonmot...com/default.asp

Corey

Just a little side note, I asked the service manager (who was also my tech) about some of the $200 price quotes I had seen by others on this forum. He told me that the TW is such a simple bike to work on that its 600 mile service just falls under their "dirtbike service 50-225cc" labor rate, and he said that even at what little he charged me, they were still making money. He said he would rather try to build a long-term relationship with a customer than to try to just make a quick buck off of you. Sounds like a good business plan to me, and I'll do my best to make him my first choice for service and parts/accessories, as well as recommend him to others as I have here.

Corey

it is a good idea to service a new vehicle. and the service record is golden.

CHANGE THE OIL and have your service agent fill the spaces in the paper work.

other than that just drive the s&it out of the machine and then complain ;-)

Maybe others disagree, but if we get treated well at a particular dealership, I think we should post that here. I bought my 2010 TW from the Full Throttle Motorsports here in Lansing (MI). I did some research, found a price in Cycle Trader for this bike, presented this info. to the sales mgr. and got just what I wanted at exactly the price I hoped for. It was about as free from hassles and headaches as it could be. Now, if this endless Michigan winter would fade away...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links