oxford hot hands wrap around grips
Close

I was thinking about buying oxford hot hands wrap around grips for my 08 tw200. the grips have a 1.3 amp draw. does anyone know if the tw200 charging system can keep up with that? If I have to charge my battery regularly not a big deal, just dont want to get stranded with a dead battery. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hazelhiker View Post
    I was thinking about buying oxford hot hands wrap around grips for my 08 tw200. the grips have a 1.3 amp draw. does anyone know if the tw200 charging system can keep up with that? If I have to charge my battery regularly not a big deal, just dont want to get stranded with a dead battery. thanks

1.3 amps is 16 watts, no big deal. Switch every bulb except headlight to LEDs and pretty mmuch make up the difference.

EDIT: I was just reading up on the Oxford grip heaters and they draw 18 watts EACH, or 36 watts total. That is significant. Go by the local electronics store and pick up a 50 watt resistor to lower the draw. The folks at the store can measure the resistance of the heaters and provide a suitable resistor. Generally, grip heaters are twice as hot as they need to be so reducing current by 50% might be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    1.3 amps is 16 watts, no big deal. Switch every bulb except headlight to LEDs and pretty mmuch make up the difference.

EDIT: I was just reading up on the Oxford grip heaters and they draw 18 watts EACH, or 36 watts total. That is significant. Go by the local electronics store and pick up a 50 watt resistor to lower the draw. The folks at the store can measure the resistance of the heaters and provide a suitable resistor. Generally, grip heaters are twice as hot as they need to be so reducing current by 50% might be a good place to start.

thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You might want to look at the Oxford Heaterz which have the heating elements in the grips.

They come with a controller that cuts power use on the med and low settings. They give a figure of 4A draw for both on high, so at the 30% (low) setting, I estimate they use 1.2 amp total.

I put a set on my TW and low is lots warm.

Not a bad idea to add something like a battery bug or or other battery level indicator to keep an eye on things.

Sponosred Links