jumps over neutral.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just got a 2006 T dub with 3000 miles on it and it runs beautifully.

the only problem I have noticed is that I can't seem to shift it into neutral when the motor is running. I can shift it easily from first or second into neutral when it is not running, but not when it is running. When I start the bike in neutral and then downshift to first it does kick forward a little.

Is this something that can be adjusted?

Not really. TWs have clunky transmissions. Try pulling in the clutch, applying gentle pressure against the shifter, and rolling the bike back and forth a bit at the same time.

I have a 2006 and mine was doing that kind of thing when I first got it.

Qwerty is right. Most of the problem is just that the TW has a clunky transmission.

However, I found that it can be made better if everything is adjusted perfectly. One thing I found was that my clutch spring was not "hooked" over the clutch arm at the bottom where the cable goes, and I found that the arm itself was slightly misadjusted. You have to take off the clutch cover and make an adjustment to the clutch throw to get the arm to line up. Once I did all of that, and then adjusted my clutch lever at the handlebar as perfect as I could get it, the bike shifted a lot smoother and went into neutral alot easier, though it's still clunky. My next step is going to be putting on a Turner Adjust on the Fly clutch lever. The stock Yamaha clutch lever has somewhat of a "flat" pull to it, and I'm thinking that changing the lever may help a bit.

You can download the manual on one of the pinned topics, and it will tell you how to make the adjustments, if you're willing to spend a little time on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

it's extremely sensitive on this bike I find, you must make the most delicate touch with your foot or you will go past it. Just be as slow and gentle as possible and it will pop right in. regardless of practice you'll probably still miss it a lot, but that's OK, I can't think of any emergency situations where to need 2-N or 1-N anyway.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Usually I don't use neutral for anything except warming the bike up, and even then only for long enough to don helmet and gloves. If I do want neutral, I drop into neutral from 2nd with the clutch in nand a light tap just before the bike stops. If stopped and wanting neutral without killing the engine, I shift to 2nd, place my heel atop the peg, and gently tap with the arch of my foot instead of the toe, resulting in a much shorter movement of the lever, and the tranny drops right into neutral every time.

I'm with Qwerty. My 2009 TW is easiest to get into neutral shifting up to second then tapping lightly from second into neutral. My 1967 Yamaha 180cc twin 2 stroker is the exact same way. A pain to go from 1st to neutral, but loves to go right into neutral from second. Come to think of it my 2003 buell lighting is the same way too

Thanks for the replies,

I think I will try to find the manual referred to and make the adjustments. I can't think of an emergency need for going into neutral, but for convenience, there have been about a dozen times already when I was at a stop and I needed to use my left hand for something and I sat there going back and forth from first to second to first to second before finally giving up and turning the bike off.

It would not really be an issue if I just missed neutral a lot, but I have actually only twice been able to successfully shift to neutral while the motor was running, so I think it warrants and adjustment.

I am very glad to know that I am not alone however, and it is something that can be addressed, to a degree, with a time consuming adjustment.

-Layne

Hi

this is a common problem / misconception with the TW. when you've had a bike for a while you will notice this each time you change the oil. the clutch grips better with new oli. also the chain may be just too tight, it needs a good 1" and a half slack, which is more than other bikes have. check your chain/drive like you just stole the bike, next week you wont have this problem :=)

rgds

murchu

My bike goes from first to neutral every time, with ease, after making the aforementioned adjustments. I can also do the 2nd to neutral with no problem. One more thing that I should have mentioned, Layne. You can check the adjustment of the clutch arm before taking off the clutch cover. If it's correct, then you won't have to deal with pulling the cover, getting a new gasket, etc.

I've noticed that the only time my T-Dub goes into neutral easily is when going up a steep hill and trying to down shift to first ....then it hits neutral very easily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links