TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Quiet muffler options?

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Leben 
#1 ·
The worst thing that needs replacing on my recent garage find (a 2000 model with 980 miles on it) is that the bottom of the muffler
is almost completely shot. I can weld and fabricate, but fear this is beyond my capability. It's probably even worse inside the muffler.
The popular DG brand and the popular FMF brand of mufflers, even with the "quiet inserts" are just too barky, I'think.
Although wondering if I can take them apart and restrict a bit more.
The one thing I DO like about them, is they won't ever rot out, being made of aluminum and stainless steel.
This morning I thought about finding out if SuperTrapp makes a small muffler, like for go-carts or mini bikes or some such, and then
just welding up that angled inlet pipe to it.
I'm going to find out if this is an option.
Anybody have any idea's? I've researched this quite a bit, but haven't really come up with anything, yet.
Thanks!!!

#3 ·
I think you would have a hard time finding a quieter muffler than a stock one. I wouldn't worry too much about it rusting out if you take long enough rides to get the temperature up. My bike is a 97 with 13,000 miles and the muffler is in great shape.

#4 ·
Rickless, could not you weld or braise a new skin over rusted portion of your oem muffler? Restored w/o holes the oem pipe should be relatively very quite and would be an affordable fix.

#5 ·
Thanks Hikerglenn, Leben and Fred,
Yeah, nothing will be as quiet as stock. I was looking at those ebay mufflers, didn't think they looked that hot, but maybe I'm being too picky...
I am considering "reskinning" the one I have, using some stainless steel sheet metal; I could do that, but I was afraid the guts were as rusted out as the hole on the botoom. Guess I won't know untill I remove it soon and take a better look at it.
If I come up with something worthwhile, I'll post it.

#6 ·
Stock really is the best option IMHO but a copy of stock or "frankenmuffler" with
stainless patches could even be better. All depends on how much time you wish to
spend over just purchasing used.

#7 · (Edited)
I do not recommend this for the TW unless you want the Hobo look, but this is interesting.
More than a decade ago when times were tight I made a temporary patch on a totally rusted out truck muffler using fiberglass cloth bedded in high temp RTV silicone figuring it just needed to last me untill the next paycheck. Well one thing led to another and some 150,000 miles or so later that temp patch surprisingly is still working perfect, never a leak, perhaps more quite than stock as it puffs out slightly with exhaust pulses. On a 4X4 it sees mud, rocks, snow, ice, and sustained hight temperature operation. Crazy? Cheap? Ugly? Yes, yes,yes, but effective. My inspiration came from model boats and cars with silicone rubber exhaust tubing running on gas or nitro.

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub
#8 ·
Good idea's all. If it were an emergency or I had zero money, I might go for patching it one way or another, but
don't really think the effort is worth it. Besides, it's a sweet bike, why ruin it.
So it look's like I've found a used muffler that I'll be getting in the near future.
I'm most happy about this, as I do want to keep the bike quiet. When I was younger
loud was ok, but not no more, although a low growl on some bikes is fine.
Some day I may get a "universal" supertrapp and make an inlet pipe that fits properly, just to see how
loud it is, and if I can get it down to a suitable sound level.
I run a Supertrapp on a BMW GS and it's not too loud, in fact I really love the sound.
Don't know how it will sound on a tdubb.
If it works out, I'll definitely post.
Thanks all!

#9 ·
I hate to see this post peter out. I would love a quieter TW, and I think that there is something a little beyond the theory that stock is already restricted to its maximum possible degree. What I am going by is that climate and load are factored in, and I usually don't stress it that much, which means there would be more room to quiet it down, versus full throttle, uphill, loaded, in a hot desert, possibly with a lean carb mix.
I bought a decibel meter with the intent of doing some testing. What i had in mind was tinkering with a parabolic reflector, which would focus the sound back into the exhaust tube. This neutralizes the sound, and is how a resonator works on a car. The exhaust can flow around and does not need a part very small hole to come out. I moved shortly after, and this all got put on hold. Like to hear from others to bake this idea further. -----

Dell

#10 ·
Reactions: Dell
#11 ·
I've got a Yamaha 2400 watt inverter generator that's really quiet. The engine cc is fairly close to a TW so the muffler off one of those might work. The end of the exhaust is packed with steel wool looking stuff. Don't repack your muffler with steel wool, it lites on fire. Just ask my brother how he found that one out..

#12 ·
My understanding is that most quiet inverter generators have sound deadening insulation around the whole engine. I think you would be surprised at how much engine noise the TW makes regardless of how quiet you can get the exhaust. There are a lot of explosions contained in some thin metal. I have a Honda Pacific Coast that is water cooled (helps insulate sound) and has extra insulation around the engine. It is an extremely quiet bike. Part of what endeared me to the TW200 was that it is quieter than many other motorcycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.