Run w/o battery OK?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a regulator/rectifier on order and hope that will remedy my problem of the battery discharging when I take the bike out for a ride. (it stay's charged just fine with the key off and parked). I've put the new battery on a float charger which seems to keep it topped off, but of course when riding it, the lights all come on and run the battery down. I'm aware "deep cycling" the battery isn't good for it.

So, maybe while I'm waiting for my part, so I can at least ride the bike I should just take the battery out altogether? I can kick start it and it runs fine w/o the battery (except I have no lights). Other than that, Is there any harm done running the TW with no battery in it at all? I'd like to ride it while I wait for "slow boat" UPS to bring my part. Whatja think?

If I remember correctly from the old forum, the starting and electrical systems are seperate so, if it's running fine without the lights, that should work just fine. I would think you only need the charging system for the lights, but utimately have not had this happen to my TW yet.

Of course, Idaho 5-0 may not like you driving it without the lights on the streets, but off road would be ok (guessing your not gonna ride in the dark anyway ha ha). Not gonna look it up, but I think there is a requirement for a headlight to be on when we drive on the roads. Older bikes with an on/off light switch may be exempt, but I don't own a bike old enough to qualify.

Oh, and you are a lucky dog having a kick starter, I'm jealous. Mine is an 05' and came without. Long range plan is to put one on, but not this summer! My battery died a few weeks ago, have to jump or bump start it. Haven't had time to buy a new one yet. Left it running a lot when I went on my Buck Park Cabin ride a few weeks ago.

Take Care

P.S. Sending you Hemingway Butte map soon. Have to copy it to the CPU and haven't had time yet. Map on Idaho BLM site doesn't have the quality that I remember my printed copy has.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I can't imagine having a dual sport w/o a kick starter. It is a great comfort knowing that if I were out in the boonies somewhere and my battery went dead that I can simply give her a kick and still get home. Yamaha was foolish to eliminate the kick start from this bike IMHO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a 91 that did not have a battery when I bought it and it still does not. The lights go on when running.

Wow, if the lights all worked on my '93 w/o a battery I'd just forget about a battery altogether and live with kick-starting it all the time. Electric start is nice, but I'm finding that some of the worst problems to deal with on this bike seem to be electrical and battery issues. Simpler is better IMHO.

When I got my bike, I had to buy a battery and set it on to charge, and went for a ride while that was going on. It was about 10pm. I hadn't got to know the bike enough to tell which way was reserve on the 'cock. Rolled up to the top of a very steep hill, let the clutch in, and darkness. Bike ran outta gas, clearly, and died. I locked up on the brake, found a patch of gravel, went down and got a good burn. I don't care much for the starter, since the bike's so easy to kick over, but pushing 2 miles home without a light wasn't cool.

I definitely appreciate having lights without having to burn gas and make all the noise sometimes.

if you do go without a battery, put a big capacitor in its place. No, it won't start the bike or run the lights but it will make life a whole lot easier on your regulator and all the 12 volt stuff that runs off it. 4,700uF or larger, 35 to 50 volt ought to do the job nicely.
    If your only tool is a hammer

Everything looks like a nail

Quote Originally Posted by Fourcycle View Post
    if you do go without a battery, put a big capacitor in its place. No, it won't start the bike or run the lights but it will make life a whole lot easier on your regulator and all the 12 volt stuff that runs off it. 4,700uF or larger, 35 to 50 volt ought to do the job nicely.

I've been meaning to try this. RadioShack sells a 4,700 uF 35V cap for around $5 I think. I think in order for this to work well you'd have to have a way to shut off your head light/tail light when you're starting the bike.

I've also read that you should put a resistor in line with it all and since I don't know much about electrical stuff I was hesitant to experiment with my bike as the guinea pig. I'm afraid of sending too much voltage through the system... is that possible?
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

If you don't want to run a battery you'll need a battery eliminator kit to protect the other components.

Truelight,

Did the new regulator/rectifier solve your problem of keeping the battery charged?
    2007 FZ1

1991 TW200

1972 CB350

2006 Goldwing

2008 WR250R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links