87- Strange symptom or normal
Close

OK- Finished all the general maintenace. 1987, 6100 miles all stock

Went out this morning 45degree and it fired right up after 2 kicks, big smile on my face. Idled purfectly, still a big smile. Let it warm up several minutes all is good, still smilin..

Went for a test ride down the steet, easy and smooth. Never rev it too high just putted it around the block. 1-2-3 gears then 3-2-1, then slow cruz 2-3

now the issue- After a mile or so it seemed to cough/ like a missfire. maybe even a small pop thru the carb. drove it home a mile with no problem. then I let it sit idling in the driveway. and it seem to cough/ like a missfire every couple minutes. It never stalled out or died.

I dont want to run to long or hard until i determine if its normal, carb problem- timing- valves.. any input would be greatly apreciated.

still smilin', just not a big.

thanks

it could be mecanical, electrical, or fuel related. Have you tried the troubleshooting procedures in the service manual?

Since you just did all the general maintenance, did the bike do the same thing before you messed with it? If not, it is probably something you did. Valve too tight? Carb boot not tight? Plug wire not all the way down? Plug wire pulled loose from coil?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    it could be mecanical, electrical, or fuel related. Have you tried the troubleshooting procedures in the service manual?

Since you just did all the general maintenance, did the bike do the same thing before you messed with it? If not, it is probably something you did. Valve too tight? Carb boot not tight? Plug wire not all the way down? Plug wire pulled loose from coil?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, same as before

Allthe usual double tripled checked, new plug, airfilter, new in/out carb boots, fresh gas, plug wire seated, ect ect.

Starts very easy, even cold. Idles great, runs smmoth under normal riding. The problem is under hard acceleration, any gear. Goes away when cruzing at a constant speed. I feels like a mis, sounds like a studder. Is this a lean/rich condition?, the pilot scwrew still has the brass plug on it. Should I drillit out, and adjust. thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Is the carb clean? You might run some Berryman's or Seafoam in the gas and see what happens. No rust or crud in the tank?

1987, with low miles, still has the cap over the pilot screw? Hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    Is the carb clean? You might run some Berryman's or Seafoam in the gas and see what happens. No rust or crud in the tank?

yes the tank has been cleaned, flushed. Added an inline filter to catch any thing else. Did a lazyman carb clean, but have not completely disassembled it unyil I can get all the parts/orings/gasket. Just added 2 oz seafoam, will ride it for awhile, thanks for your ideas & help.

Well, you're doing things in the right order. Next on the list is clean the carb. Might as well do a little rejetting while you have the carb apart.

The symptoms point to fuel or air delivery problem at high flow conditions.

Could be a partially clogged (varnish choked) jet. or a problem with the floats or float valve.

Or spider webs in the air filter box?

Many odd things can upset the balance of fuel and air.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Sponosred Links