Front Brake Issues -disk
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By qwerty

Thread: Front Brake Issues -disk

So, working on my fork retrofit can't seem to build up pressure in the front brake. I can pump fluid through the hose when I crack the bleed screw. Only think I can think of is piston is not popping out. The pads were a very real PIA to get back into the RT180 caliper with the clips; need a second pair of hands.

any ideas out there. Once again I'm using a RT180 caliper since I'm running 97 rt180 fork legs.

thanks
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Hopefully, it's just bubbles in the hose floating up as fast as the master cylinder pushes fluid down. Try holding the caliper above the master cylinder with the hose gradually going up from the cylinder to the caliper as best you can. Draw a vacuum on the caliper bleeder (with the bleeder the highest point of the caliper while continually refilling the master cylinder.

Ok, so after pumping a whole lot of fluid through w/o building any pressure I popped the brake shoes out and discovered that the piston isn't coming out of it's bore. So, next question why is this happening and how do I fix. This simple fork swap is giving me the blues.

thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You can pump 2458938 gallons through the system, but if the air is floating up as fast as you pump, won't do any good.

Are you closing the bleeder before releasing the lever?

Did you raise the caliper until it was the highest point in the system, straighten the brake hose/line so it goes steady up from the master cylinder to the caliper as best you can, and use suction on the caliper bleed screw? If you have, I'd suspect internal leakage in the master cylinder or a collapsed brake hose lining.

A stuck caliper will build pressure at the lever, IF the master cylinder is working. I wouldn't touch the caliper, yet.

Well sounds like I have a ways to go since I've only pumped half a bottle of brake fluid through. JK

Yep, I was closing the bleeder valve before releasing the lever.

I raised the caliper above the master cylinder, but since the hose goes through the triple clamps, part of the hose is below the master cyclinder (hose is in a "U" formation).

Master cyclinder and hose are from the bike, only the caliper is new to the system; so since the master cyclinder and hose were fine when I took it apart still assume they are good.

The only thing I haven't done is used suction on the caliper bleed screw. Might be time to purchase one of the those brake fluid/change pumps.

Thanks Josh

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    You can pump 2458938 gallons through the system, but if the air is floating up as fast as you pump, won't do any good.

Are you closing the bleeder before releasing the lever?

Did you raise the caliper until it was the highest point in the system, straighten the brake hose/line so it goes steady up from the master cylinder to the caliper as best you can, and use suction on the caliper bleed screw? If you have, I'd suspect internal leakage in the master cylinder or a collapsed brake hose lining.

A stuck caliper will build pressure at the lever, IF the master cylinder is working. I wouldn't touch the caliper, yet.

Shop vac, duct tape, and a piece of clear fuel line for lawn mowers. Cheap and sucks like a $2 whore.

Can you work the caliper up through the triples?

Peterb likes this.

Now you got me thinking. Hmmmmmm... Wait I need to fix my front brake first.

Thanks

hey qwerty - thanks again Sir!

your tip worked..

and for those who sucked a few too many beers the night before - ( ie Note to self! )

make sure your caliper is the right way up when you tape it to the clutch perch mirror..

or you will pump 234567890 liters of fluid thru like i did before you figure that out,,,

mind you I'd already pumped 9876543 liters before I came in here and search for this!

have successfully fitted daytona steel front brake hose - and removed the dirty dish washing water that was posing as fluid !

the brakes now WORK!
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Why did you go for RT180 fork legs? Can you put a picture up? 35 mm fork dia? Did you bore out the Triple T?

hoping you all can help me. just bought a 97 rt180. front brakes had nothing. master had no fluid. put it in and I could get fluid to shoot out bleeder screw. I was trying to gravity bleed, but is hard with twisty brake cable. I bleed them like a car, right. pull in brake lever and pump then hold lever with bleeder closed, then open and close bleeder. sounds like I have bikerjosh's problem. any help is appreciated.

Sponosred Links