Water Crossings / Hyrdolock field repair
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Water Crossings / Hyrdolock field repair

Water Crossings / Hyrdolock field repair

I have never had a deep water crossing or a situation where my TW200 would not start.

But, one of my biggest concerns is deep water crossings and the possiblity of killing the motor during a water crossing.

My question for those of you with more experience is.. What do I do if it does happen?

I plan on doing the carb vent mod that is mentioned on the forum, and try to avoid water when possible but I need to know what to do if it is unavoidable without a major detour and then something goes wrong.

Other than a spare spark plug is there anything else I should be carrying along and what is the procedure to get going again if it were to happen.

As long as your carb vent is re routed to under the seat and your airbox remains stock, your fine on pretty darn deep crossings.
    If your so deep so as to intake water......hmm. Best to avoid. Might want to have a kickstart if you don't already. A little silicon dielectric grease applied
    to the spark plug boot wouldn't hurt to keep water out. Don't forget to clean out n lube cables, chain after submergence.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

I think it will probably die out because of a wet plug before it ingests water - that is if you haven't sealed the plug lead end as suggested. If the water gets that high that you're concerned, rather hit the kill switch on the bar and then turn off the ignition immediately after.

If you have indeed managed to ingest water, there is a good chance that you have done damage if the motor was still running. However, first thing after getting it on a dry footing, is to pull the spark plug and spin the motor a bit to expel water in the cylinder - also listen for any abnormal mechanical sounds.

If all OK, dry the plug connect it without screwing it in, reset the kill switch turn on the ignition switrch and be sure that the kick stand is up (there's a kill switch on it in the down position). Swing the motor with the plug body earthed against an unpainted area to check for spark. If you got spark, replace the plug and fire it up.

As mentioned, you will need to do a lube regimen after something like that ..... swing arm bushes / wheel bearings / chain. You will also need to check the engine oil for 'milkiness' just in case any water got into the crankcase past the piston rings or through a worn seal on kick-start / gear lever & drive sprocket shaft. If so, replace engine oil.

I think that's about it.
    Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
    It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

One more thing - just drain off a bit of fuel from the float bowl on the bottom of the carb, just in case there's a bit of water in there.
    Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
    It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

My TW died right in the middle of a water crossing. Had my feet up thinking "I'm going to make it across without getting my feet wet". Water was just over the axles. This was before my vent tube mod. Had to push it to dry land and crank on it with the throttle open to get it to start. Didn't have to do anything else. You might want to carry an extra plug and install the previously mentioned kickstarter if your bike doesn't have one.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Mud Dog sounds like he speaks from experience. If dropped so water gets in exhaust then many will stand bike up 90 degrees on it's rear tire to encourage draining. On a TW this might be easier said than done, but bike could be laid on it's side on terra firma to possibly drain most of water out while you pull the air filter and wring it out like a sponge. No use kicking motor over if it can still ingest water.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

My solution (ever since I drowned my built Jeep Cherokee)? Avoid water like the plague. Seriously I will cancel a ride and go back the way I came if I can't find a way around water deeper than like 10 or 12 inches, and even that I try to stay out of.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Dog View Post
    One more thing - just drain off a bit of fuel from the float bowl on the bottom of the carb, just in case there's a bit of water in there.
    Ive done tons of deep crossings and I can tell you that its all but impossible to have problems unless your going deeper than the seat where the air intake is. When it does cut out you should:

1. Open the airbox and empty it
    2. Turn the petcock off and totally drain the bowl.
    3. Refill the bowl.
    4. Pull the sparklplug and expel any water (normally there wont be any)
    5. If possible pour a little fuel into the cylinder
    6. Fire it up WOT

Once youve done the carb vent mod that will eliminate most of the problems. I have mine vented up to the handlebars just to be safe. Also note that even after youve vented the carb its possible for the vent tubes to plug with mud or debris and cause it to stop running, sometimes you just need to rinse or blow out the lines. Eventually im going to have my air intake on the handlebars as well as I do alot of water crossings as seen here:

Fred and Peterb like this.

^^^ what he said

If there's any resistance to to the motor turning over, remove the plug - crank a few times - (dry off) and replace the plug. (You may wish to change the oil at that point, but it'll still get you home)

Thanks for the tips, I don't plan on seeking out water just for the heck of it, but I do plan on riding some Back Country Discovery Routes that may have some water crossings and want to be somewhat prepared. I avoid water whenever possible because of the expensive repairs and stress of being broke down and will detour around water where possible. I did add the kickstarter to my 2013 about 3 months ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links