engine oil q's
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: engine oil q's

I did some searching before posting so hopefully this hasn't been covered at length already...

In the "how to change your own oil" post there is a gallon container of what appears to be automotive engine oil. From what I've read there is some disagreement as to whether car oil is appropriate for a motorcycle. For the last year I have been using HP4S honda synthetic motorcycle oil (I'm not sure if that oil is even the best for a wet clutch). It's pretty expensive but considering the bike only requires one quart or so for an oil change I can justify the added cost. I recently purchased a second bike (dr350se) also air-cooled with a wet clutch. With the two bikes I will be needing to buy larger quantities of oil now and I change my oil pretty frequently.

Okay so after all that here is the question: Is there a motorcycle specific oil that comes in a gallon container that is also appropriate for the TW's and DR's clutch set up? or do I need to start buying the quarts by the case? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Motul comes in a gallon bit is pricey. Yamalube comes in a gallon, regular, semi-syn, and full syn. My favorite is the semi-syn. It's kinda like goldilocks porridge, just right.

Thanks, another reason I ask is where I have been getting that Honda oil raised the price from $10 to $13+tax for a quart! The joy of island living I guess lol. I'll be putting in a new clutch and kick start in the next couple months and want to start off with something new and less absurdly expensive

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The Yamalube semi-syn is $32 per gallon. The motul is $54 per gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrici View Post
    I did some searching before posting so hopefully this hasn't been covered at length already...

In the "how to change your own oil" post there is a gallon container of what appears to be automotive engine oil. From what I've read there is some disagreement as to whether car oil is appropriate for a motorcycle. For the last year I have been using HP4S honda synthetic motorcycle oil (I'm not sure if that oil is even the best for a wet clutch). It's pretty expensive but considering the bike only requires one quart or so for an oil change I can justify the added cost. I recently purchased a second bike (dr350se) also air-cooled with a wet clutch. With the two bikes I will be needing to buy larger quantities of oil now and I change my oil pretty frequently.

Okay so after all that here is the question: Is there a motorcycle specific oil that comes in a gallon container that is also appropriate for the TW's and DR's clutch set up? or do I need to start buying the quarts by the case? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You are correct, the oil pictured in the "How to change your oil" thread is automotive oil and should not be used.

I have found Castrol 4T in the gallon size, but that was a few years ago. I can only find quarts now.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I work at a small motocross track and we have a lot of bikes to maintain. From crf50 to the big 450's and we always used motul semi-synthetic for all the bikes and never had any problems... related to the oil of course.

We used motul 300v full synthetic for a season for the competition bikes ....

Not worth the extra buck in my opinion.
    The journey is more important then the destination and to have someone to talk to about your journey is the most important of all. Enjoy every day and keep riding.

Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic...available at Walmart for $20/gal

I first learned about this stuff a couple of years ago. I still have an "older" quart bottle and the stuff was not JASO certified at the time, even though many riders were using it.

On the last gallon I bought three weeks ago, I notice that they have finally certified it to JASO specs. In other words, it IS wet-clutch compatible.
    Visit my Blog...Hidden Content or my YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Henrici View Post
    Thanks, another reason I ask is where I have been getting that Honda oil raised the price from $10 to $13+tax for a quart! The joy of island living I guess lol. I'll be putting in a new clutch and kick start in the next couple months and want to start off with something new and less absurdly expensive

Question for Henrici, Where on the Big Island? I live in Hawi, the northern tip.

In answer to the original problem, I have had several Jap bikes that had this problem on cold startup.

My solution was to start in neutral and let the bike warm a bit then shut it off.

Now put it in gear and pull the clutch and start it. Since it is warm engine, it fires right up and frees the clutch with no clunk or crash of gears.

Phelonius
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    Question for Henrici, Where on the Big Island? I live in Hawi, the northern tip.

I live on the Kona side above the airport (palasades/kona highlands) nice to meet another T-duber on the island! I have only see a few here since I bought mine.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links