something different
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: something different

something different

I am looking to load my TW in my p/u with a cab height topper on bed. Yeah I know it doesn't clear the lift glass opening with out serious strip down to make it fit. I can't find a high top topper (used) around here that fits my truck and I am running out of time till departure date. So next step is lowering bike to fit.
    I'm looking to remove front wheel for transport and replace it with a small diameter wheel to roll in and out of bed. Change out wheel and ride away. Front wheel change is easier and faster than front end strip down.
    Thinking of a go cart size wheel with nylon spacers or small kid's motorcycle wheel.
    So my question is any thoughts on a wheel that might fit? Any other options that I am not thinking of. Don't want a hitch hauler or trailer.

Thanks, Doug
    TWilight likes this.

how much to high is the front end? just dropping the forks in the trees will gain you probably 8 inches and would be the easiest solution

A wheelbarrow wheel perhaps? Pick one up at a hardware store. A short length of threaded rod and few nuts to keep her steady. That's what I'd do but I'm not the smartest dude out there. You could throw it on for loading then just pop it off and set the forks on some carpet or something like that keep from scratching up your bed or damaging your folks. You might be able to the same for the rear if you had to.

A quick look on harbor freights sight showed a good selection for under 10 bones. I don't think you'd need anything real serious for a quick roll to and from a bed.
    Last edited by BRug14468; 05-07-2015 at 07:27 PM.
    TWilight likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Since you are only going to roll the bike six feet, I'd think you could use nearly any small diameter wheel that you could fit on the axle, like a cheap lawn mower wheel from Home Depot.

I know that even with the front wheel off I could not get the handlebars under my opening (I have 2" risers), which is 3 inches less than the topper. You should do some measurements to find a wheel size that would let you do this. Maybe only 3 to 4 inch wheels.

It has been discussed at some length here whether you can lay the bike down in the bed and the consensus is that unless you drain the oil you can't, UNLESS you can figure out some way to prop it back up again and secure it once inside to about 45 degrees....the oil will run up into the top of the cylinder.
    TWilight likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

How much of a strip down? You need 4 inches, 6 maybe? If you are going to haul it somewhat often and that is all you need, I would tend to pull the topper and put a spacer in on top the bed and reattach it. Use some taller C clamps and tighten down. A a 4x4 or 4x6 would give enough maybe. Also take a ratchet strap to the front and back and compressing the springs will drop it several inches.

Getcha a moto mule hitch carrier.

moto-mule hitch carrier

image.jpg. image.jpg
    TWilight likes this.

Thanks for the ideas. Top of instrument cluster is app. 44". Inside height to cab hi topper is 39".
    Dropping fork tubes height of assembly still remains the same to handle bars. Good thought though. I like the use of front brake while loading solo. Compression of front forks by rachet straps doesn't gain enough clearance and also plays havoc with seals for extended travel.
    Donor wheel of a pit bike might allow front caliper to engage rotor but I doubt it for use of front brake. I believe T.W. axle is 15mm. Most small wheel axle is 12 mm. Not to concerned of scoring an axle with a 10 foot push.

Appreciate any more ideas.
    Doug

Clever idea c.salt.
    Don't forget to leave a little extra clearance for your knuckles.
    badcat likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Update, 10" wheelbarrow wheel, 3/4" P.V.C. pipe for axle spacers lowers the TW enough to fit in the back with a standard topper with mirrors removed. Loading is a bit more work. Miss the front brake. Another strong set of hands would be nice but did it myself. Looking for a way to elevate front tire easily for easy tire swaps. Wish these bikes had a center stand.

Fred, Not my idea, copied from another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by c.salt View Post
    ..... Looking for a way to elevate front tire easily for easy tire swaps. .....
    Platform Jack from Harbor Freight: Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb...ift-60536.html
    Cheap...comes in really handy when removing either front or rear tire. Don't forget to tie the bike down to it!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 05-10-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links