I will not roll it in front of a train. I will not roll it..............
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: I will not roll it in front of a train. I will not roll it..............

I will not roll it in front of a train. I will not roll it..............

After I rode with Scotti158 last weekend I washed the TW, lubed the chain, and aired the tires back up a bit. Then I parked it. Jumped on it tonight to go run a service call and all was well. Five miles down the road all was not so well. Started losing power just going down the road so I instinctively rotated the petcock to reserve. Bike kept sputtering anywhere above a third of the throttle. No noises or any indication of a problem except sudden loss of power. Throttle responds perfectly while parked and in neutral, only seems to happen under a load.

Your turn.

Oh yeah 2013 no mods to the powertrain or fuel system.

Thanks in advance
    Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

rbm
    Did you use a pressure washer to wash it? My first thought is water in the fuel. I would top off the tank, add some Seafoam and try to ride and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Did you use a pressure washer to wash it? My first thought is water in the fuel. I would top off the tank, add some Seafoam and try to ride and see what happens.
    No pressure washer. Well water with poor pressure from the hose to boot. I will drain the carb bowl, pitch the fuel in the tank, and add seafoam to fresh fuel. That is a start at least. Probably will put a new spark plug in too. Just because Thanks for the advice.

Tom
    Fred and goldenhtr like this.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Welcome! A new plug would have been next on the list. Might not hurt to check the air filter too, make sure it's not wet.

Too bad Tom. Anything like that incident which causes one to doubt TW's reliability can be really be un-nerving. I think it increases with the square of the distance from home or help. I have had a few mystery bogging or stalls and forever question whether problem is solved or is instead intermittent and waiting to come back and bite me. Your planned fresh fuel, plug and sea foam sound the the recipe for success. Better ride a lot this weekend to test and re-test., tell your family they will just have to understand, it is in the interest of science, safety, national security, blah,blah,blah....
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Too bad Tom. Anything like that incident which causes one to doubt TW's reliability can be really be un-nerving. I think it increases with the square of the distance from home or help. I have had a few mystery bogging or stalls and forever question whether problem is solved or is instead intermittent and waiting to come back and bite me. Your planned fresh fuel, plug and sea foam sound the the recipe for success. Better ride a lot this weekend to test and re-test., tell your family they will just have to understand, it is in the interest of science, safety, national security, blah,blah,blah....
    I do not doubt it's reliability. That much No seriously I don't. I am glad I was only five or six miles from home when it happened though. Just rode home slower than I rode away from home.

Another note to all. I did as I said I would and drained the fuel, added fresh fuel with a double dose of Seafoam then fired it up to get the juices flowing. I started to ride it down to the end of the road and back with no sputtering at all? Too soon for the seafoam to have made any difference that much is certain. Heat related maybe?

Tom
    Fred and plumbstraight like this.

Unlikely, but check your air filter.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Might have just been a drop of condensed water vapor finally making it's way from tank to cylinder.
    jbfla likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Might have just been a drop of condensed water vapor finally making it's way from tank to cylinder.
    Not to show my lack of knowledge but........... how much water would it take to get the bike to sputter for THAT long?

Tom

+1

Any water condensed/collected in the tank settles to the bottom of the tank, and eventually goes down the fuel line into the carb.

jb
    Tirebiter likes this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links