Octane ratings / fuel types .......
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Octane ratings / fuel types .......

Octane ratings / fuel types .......

Here in the UK we do not have “Ethanol” mix in our fuel. We use standard vastly over-priced (thanks to government tax) un-leaded “Petrol”.

With price per litre currently running at £1.14 GBP, at least they have the decency to give us the “good stuff” — 96 octane. And for a few pence per litre more, 98 octane. As far as “standard” cars go, there’s little difference between the two octanes, despite manufacturers claims — but for the odd high performance cars that need it, it’s nice to have the option.

My question (although I may have answered it above) — is — “would a raised octane rating make any difference to the performance of a TW” ?

I have no idea of what my bike is doing to the gallon, I keep the tank topped up from a container in my garage, ready to roll for each trip. My question primarily concerns how the bike would “run”.

I notice from previous threads that some of you have the option of fuel types — how does that work out for you ? ………
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Hey Purple, I use high octane fuel because the higher the octane, the lower the combustion chamber temperatures. High octane is a small price to pay to keep our little air-cooled engines in their acceptable temperature zones, especially since I ask my TW to propel my 250 lbs as well as my "stuff" down freeways at 70 mph. To make matters worse, it get really hot here in Sacramento, CA in the summer.

Having read similar posts in the past, I'm sure there will be those who disagree. Enjoy!
    mudbug likes this.

The reason higher octane than needed runs cooler is because not all of it is being burned. In other words.......wasting money. Run the lowest octane possible without having detonation. This will give you best performance and mileage.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

87 octane for me. I tried 91 non-ethanol. TW did not like it. If the 87 has ethanol I add Seafoam or StarTron (or, Staibil for ethanol).

I think of the TW as a tractor rather than a sports car.
    mudbug likes this.

I only run 90 octane non-ethanol in everything except my truck. Ive had way too many issues with ethanol. I use a product called Gas-Shok sold here in Punta-Gorda, Fl.

91 octane left unburned fuel on my spark plug and gunked up my carb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfrider View Post
    I only run 90 octane non-ethanol in everything except my truck. Ive had way too many issues with ethanol. I use a product called Gas-Shok sold here in Punta-Gorda, Fl.
    Me too we call it REC90. I don't like the 90 octane, wish it was 87 but doubt it makes a difference. But do like the lack of ethanol so thats why it is ran in my bikes and boats. When I used to dyno my Hayabusa, it made more power with 87 than the 93. Never ran REC90 in it wasn't very plentiful where I used to live. Was big debates on the forums, any motor that is efficient and does not have a very high compression ratio such as supercharged or turbocharged engines do not need high octane. You are wasting your money running high octane in a TW, it will be fine with 87. It is a fact that the REC90 will make more power due to the lack of the lower BTU ethanol, although I doubt it is noticeable. And right now down here in the keys I am paying about 2.60usd per us gallon for regular old 87 and it is about 3.50 for REC90
    Last edited by KeysRyder; 05-12-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    Gulfrider likes this.

I use the good stuff -- it is only a few more cents to fill the tank and I swear it runs better. OK, maybe me thinking it runs better is placebo but who cares as long as I think it runs better that is all that counts.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I use the good stuff -- it is only a few more cents to fill the tank and I swear it runs better. OK, maybe me thinking it runs better is placebo but who cares as long as I think it runs better that is all that counts.
    Higher octane is not "the good stuff" it is the slower burning higher octane fuel. It is no better than 87 just more expensive. If you buy into the notion that it has more detergents or treatment. Take the .50 a gallon and buy something you know your adding such as sea foam or redline fuel treatment. Then you know for a fact your getting a good fuel treatment.
    Last edited by KeysRyder; 05-12-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    So do you think mine run's better with it too? Gee I hope so

Tom
    elime likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links