What do you use to patch tubes?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What do you use to patch tubes?

What do you use to patch tubes?

As the title says, I'm wondering what people carry to patch tubes. I've know I should be carrying something but running into an unfortunate ATVer with a flat on the trail last weekend moved this up my priority list. I'm not riding anywhere I couldn't walk out of if I absolutely had to but I'd obviously rather ride. My original plan was to carry spare tubes but now that I have them they're larger and heavier than I expected and not something I'd want to carry unless I was on a longer trip. I see various patch kits out there. Is one better than another? What do you carry?

Thanks

Picture showing tube size for future readers
    tw tubes.jpg

Potential solutions
    517TbRFMnHL._AA160_.jpg
    51-KecqwrmL._AA160_.jpg

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I carry a Slime patch kit. Have never used it.

I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat and a pump. I hope it's just enough to get me home.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I' m with TopPredator. Having a spare tube and getting it into the tire are two distinct things. Unless I run over a machete blade or something similar, I'm counting on some Slime and an air pump allowing me to limp home and closer to a tire machine. I won't leave Slime in the tire, but I'll gladly ride home with gratitude for quick fixes. I've seen my buddy having to be rescued by his wife twice, despite how prepared he was with tool, tubes, and pumps. He just needed to limp home with reduced leakage. Tom
    TopPredator likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Many members use RIDE-ON in both tube for both "flat repair prevention" and "to better balance the tires as well" when in motion. -J-
    Gulfrider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by old w/2 many guns & bikes View Post
    Many members use RIDE-ON .....
    Yup, Ride-On and a prayer...'cause I know I'll never get that rear tube offa there to use a patch kit without some help from a buddy. Front's a reasonable affair though, and more likely to have a flat than that thick rear...... 10,500 miles and still knocking on wood.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Just educating myself, I was reading the Fix-a-Flat FAQ's and it said that Fix-a-Flat was for non-motorcycle tires only. Can anyone clarify? Is it still a decent product to carry in an emergency. Spooning tires in the outback is not something I would find timely or fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HKLBRY View Post
    Just educating myself, I was reading the Fix-a-Flat FAQ's and it said that Fix-a-Flat was for non-motorcycle tires only. Can anyone clarify? Is it still a decent product to carry in an emergency. Spooning tires in the outback is not something I would find timely or fun.
    Probably because Fix a flat is a temp fix. Who in there right mind would trust that S^#t for very long on a motorcycle. I guarantee I'm going to roll slow if I ever use it. Get home and replace the tube.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

A rider at the last SLO (actually it was Santa Margarita) gathering had a flat. He took plastic zip ties and secured the tire to the rim and rode back to camp. As the zip ties wore out he had to stop and replace them but he reported it was like riding on a regular tire, or close enough to it he wasn't worried. I have never tried it or heard of it being done anywhere else but I now carry plastic zip ties big enough to secure the tire to the rim.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Thanks for the responses. Maybe some slime, a pump, and a little luck are enough for most situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links