Brand new TW200 with the clutch spring issue.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Brand new TW200 with the clutch spring issue.

I've driven it 50 miles with the clutch lever return spring not properly installed. I read the post about that issue, and decided to check my spring. Sure enough, it wasn't over the arm. I fixed it, but are there any other implications to having that issue? I am paranoid since its my new bike, and I love it. Is there a chance that driving it like that could have caused damage? Is there anything else that doesn't typically get done right when the dealer assembles the bike?

It's fine. Mine was ridden 3037 miles with the spring unhooked. It just makes your clutch feel a little mushy. Most dealers do a good job, but the bikes come from the factory with very little grease. The first thing I do when I get a new bike is check everything, and grease everything. It may sound extreme, but a few hours spent early on can save a lot of time down the road. Upgrade to an o-ring chain as soon as you can.

My handlebar bolts came loose the first ride I took after picking it up from the dealer. The mirror locknuts were also hand tight.

You also might want to take the screw out of the bottom of the muffler that holds the spark arrestor on, antiseize it and reinstall it. Or just replace it with a stainless allen bolt with some goo on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Are there any photo threads for this spring problem?.....seeing it is better than reading it(position of something/might misunderstand someone?).My clutch seems alittle "funky"...I'ne adjusted it etc. but it seems not to be engaging(letting out the lever...away from the handlebar)crisply??....if that occurrs(crisply) on this make/model of machine?. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Are there any photo threads for this spring problem?.....seeing it is better than reading it(position of something/might misunderstand someone?).My clutch seems alittle "funky"...I'ne adjusted it etc. but it seems not to be engaging(letting out the lever...away from the handlebar)crisply??....if that occurrs(crisply) on this make/model of machine?. TIA

Right Here
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

just checked mine and it was not hooked up properly. dealers are definetly not doing their job assembling these bikes
    2006 tw 200 stock 950 kms

THANK YOU rainman!...I'll check mine tonight when I get out of this gulag(work). If the spring is set correctly on my bike,what should I "check" next?...I've adjusted the clutch lever several times and just can't seem to get the clutch to release until it is at the VERY end of the lever "stroke"???. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    THANK YOU rainman!...I'll check mine tonight when I get out of this gulag(work). If the spring is set correctly on my bike,what should I "check" next?...I've adjusted the clutch lever several times and just can't seem to get the clutch to release until it is at the VERY end of the lever "stroke"???. TIA

I've adjusted every adjustment point on my clutch and it still engages at the very end of my lever. I got used to it and now it works for me. My Dad's TW engages about halfway through releasing the lever.

Theres several variables: an old and worn clutch cable, the free-play screw at the lever, the adjustment nuts on the cable itself next to the motor, a worn clutch spring (the one that the cable attaches to on the top of the motor), the clutch plates themselves, and the "rod" that actuates the clutch. The "rod" is what your clutch spring is attached to. This rod must be point to a hash mark on the motor. The only way to adjust this rod is to pull the clutch (right) side cover off.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I've adjusted every adjustment point on my clutch and it still engages at the very end of my lever. I got used to it and now it works for me. My Dad's TW engages about halfway through releasing the lever.

Theres several variables: an old and worn clutch cable, the free-play screw at the lever, the adjustment nuts on the cable itself next to the motor, a worn clutch spring (the one that the cable attaches to on the top of the motor), the clutch plates themselves, and the "rod" that actuates the clutch. The "rod" is what your clutch spring is attached to. This rod must be point to a hash mark on the motor. The only way to adjust this rod is to pull the clutch (right) side cover off.

Thanks for your post Rainman, it came just in time for me as I was worried that I had done something wrong during reassembly. Mine too engages very near the end of letting the lever out. I guess I had gotten use to it and didn't notice it until I put my TW back together a couple of weeks ago. When I went for a test ride, it seemed really odd, but the more I think about it, it was like this before I took the bike apart. I have only adjusted the free play screw at the lever, but nothing else. If it stays like this I'm ok as the clutch is not slipping.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Forgot to mention that my bike only has 60 miles on it.I will still check "stuff".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links