Slow speed get-off
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Slow speed get-off

Slow speed get-off

About a week ago, I bought a 2004 TW200 on craigslist for $2000, and it was a great deal, i used it for a week, got it stuck in the mud once, but got it out, then i went out for a ride last night, and in between two fields, there is tall grass, and apparently, a rock in a divit sitting, waiting, just to piss me off, i went in the tall grass at 5mph and out of no where the bike and i threw left and the bike landed on it's side. I was clueless and got up and saw the boulder, all it noticeably did was break the back, left blinker and bend the shifter. then i brought it home, and took it out this morning and it was leaking oil. my dad says he thinks its the left side crankcase cover, but online, it all says $200 to replace, and I did not just spend most of my money on that bike to have it break over a stupid boulder, going 5mph to have it ruin me and drain my bank account, does anybody have any idea what to do, or where to get a good, cheaper one? Thanks, Chris

Welcome to the forum! You could check out Ebay or maybe in the classified section of this forum for the part you need. When you get it fix, invest in a good aftermarket skidplate. It will help avoid another rock through the case.
    M4 EnthUZIast and TWilight like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Well, the first thing to do is find the leak, before you get all upset. Since the left case cover is not pressurized and only has splash oil, you may be able to fix it with JB Weld. IF it IS a hole in the left cover. Sometimes a badly bent shifter will do that. If it is obviously coming from a dent or hole in the left case, take it off and clean and dry it before making a determination of just how bad it is. Several members here have used this fix and ridden thousands of miles afterward. If it is the crankcase, you are out of luck. There is a sticky with explicit instructions on how to remove and re-install the left case. There is also the possibility that an experienced aluminum welder can fix it too, depending on exactly where it is. You can post some pics here and we can advise.

I learned this lesson a long long time ago.....NEVER NEVER assume that any tall grass or sage or any other type of vegetation is not hiding nasty surprises. I was riding an Ossa trials bike up at the top of Taylor Pass in Colorado all by myself, miles from anyone, when I got off the jeep road to go have a look over the edge. At 5 mph I went through a bush which of course had a basketball sized rock in it.... I went right over the handlebars and landed on my head, fortunately with a helmet, and by some miracle the forks were not bent. Scared the hell out of me because I was so far from help. I rode 20 miles back to camp at about 5 mph the whole way.

Ever since, 45 years later, I ASSUME every clump of grass or anything else big enough to hide a rock DOES in fact have a rock hidden in it. Even so, I've nearly broken my foot several times from rocks protruding from the side of a single track in a shadow or some vegetation that I missed seeing....if not for a pair of really good heavy moto boots I would have. Now I pull back my feet until just the toes are on the pegs whenever it gets tight.

Edit: Found the sticky: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...pictorial.html
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 05-16-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!
    Clean, inspect and epoxy the crack or hole. JBWeld is a very good 24 hour cure epoxy for this type of repair. No need usually to remove nor replace the cover. Can you post a picture or a better description so we can better assist?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

If you drain the oil, it will stop leaking. Hey, welcome to the forum. You may not need a case. Make sure you find the leak first. You didn't say exactly where the leak is. Is it from a hole or crack? Or around the seal at shift lever shaft? Find the leak, and post pics or at least tell us where and why it's leaking. Help us help you. IF it is a cracked left case, you may find a decent used one here or ebay. Used is perfectly fine, and much cheaper. Or epoxy may work like said above. JB Weld or PC-7. Yes, sometimes the very slow falls do the most damage. It just hit the rock in the wrong way, that's all. Doesn't mean the TW is a crappy bike. They are tuff bikes, but boulders are tuffer.

I was JOKING about draining the oil.......
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Iv'e further inspected it and it is definitley the crankcase over. It literally looks like a scratch, no visible hole, approximatley one drop of oil every 6 hours, so minor that i can just get it welded, no problem, like $75. Yeah, my dad is 50 now and hes been riding trail bikes since he was 15. He said he's had that happen before and even saw a snowmobile tear the underside to shreds in the winter, hit a rock in a tall grassy area. Thanks for all the suggestions and help, I looked for a TW200 for about 4 months on craigslist and found this for a great deal, so i plan to ride TW's my whole life.
    TWilight likes this.

Good deal, and glad you didn't do that bad on the case.
    TWilight likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by M4 EnthUZIast View Post
    ........ so minor that i can just get it welded, no problem, like $75. ........so i plan to ride TW's my whole life.
    Feel better now?
    TWilight likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

If you remove cover for welding then you might wish to purchase the recogmended new gasket and seals or you may just get another oil leak or two, so budget another $25 or so for parts. Personally I would take the $100 and buy JBWeld and a better skidplate.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Well, a 2004 with less than, say, 5,000 miles really shouldn't need new shaft seals unless close visual inspection shows rust or other deterioration ...mine is still leak free at 10,500. It depends on the environment and the care taken by the previous owner (i.e. leaving it outside for 10 years). The gasket, however, is good to have on hand because getting a 12 year old gasket to separate without damage is unlikely.

If the damage is as slight as indicated, merely laying the bike over on a 45 degree angle onto something (fuel OFF) and waiting several hours then cleaning the area with lacquer thinner before applying JB Weld might fix it for a long time without having to take the cover off. No expense to speak of and if it continues to leak just proceed to stage two. Without close-up pics it's hard to say for sure.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 05-17-2015 at 10:49 AM.
    TWilight likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links