Air filter position
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Air filter position

Air filter position

So, here's a dumb question. Where exactly is the filter element supposed to go?
    In this video https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...ild-video.html at the 13:40 mark, it shows the element inserted into the air filter cover, but in this diagram 2004 Yamaha TW200 (TW200S) Intake | Stadium Yamaha it is on the inside of the guide.
    Yes, I have looked at the maintenance manual, it seems to indicate that the video is correct, but it's not definitive. I just don't see how that configuration works.
    On the inside, pressed in against the metal screen, seems much more likely to be effective, as it is definitely a positive seal. That is where mine is, unless someone can give me a valid reason it shouldn't be.

Thanks!
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

Well, now you've got me wondering too! Mine came from the dealer with the filter sandwiched between the cover and the guide, PN 12 in the drawing. I always put it back the same way. The parts Manual shows it exactly the same as Stadium's illustration, not real surprising since that is where it came from.

I always assumed that the guide was meant to trap the foam into the cover so it could not move, and the seal was against the sides of the cover wall shaped for it. This makes sense to me from an airflow perspective, i.e. that the foam does not fit as tight against the airbox sides and will let dirt in around the edges, so I am going to continue doing it this way. I suspect the drawing is wrong and no-one ever caught it, or they just didn't want to reprint the whole thing for one little mistake.

Now I'm going to have to go out and have a look! It probably could use a cleaning anyway.....

EDIT: Disregard this post entirely!! I just went out and checked mine. It is exactly as the Parts Diagram shows: foam lays on top of the guide, which pinches it against the inner rim of the airbox, not against the cover, which has no rim. That's what I get for trying to figure this out from memory....a very poor memory anymore... I just didn't want to get wet on the way to the barn....still raining here after two weeks!!

But on the positive side, it DID need cleaning! One small caveat: there are several flat pieces on the cover that project above the crisscross guide. You are supposed to tuck the foam element inside them before assembling the cover to the airbox. If you just lay the foam against the screen in the airbox before closing it up, you may not get it properly seated. When removed, the inner rim in the airbox should make an indentation in the foam evenly about 1/4 inch from the edge....THIS is what makes the seal:
    P1020563.JPGP1020564.JPG

The tabs are visible in the right pic.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 05-19-2015 at 11:27 AM.
    GTG, jeffrolives and TWilight like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Guide goes on the outside as shown on your parts diagram exploded view. It holds the filter to the screen. Otherwise you may get bypass of unfiltered air around the edges.
    TWilight likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys! And thanks especially for the pics Rocky, that puts my mind at ease.
    Funny, mine was put together wrong when I got it too, when I reassembled it I just 'knew' it was wrong, so I did it the other way. Then when I saw the video, I started second guessing myself.
    TWilight likes this.
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

Actually, mine was put together right from the beginning....it was my senile memory that put it together wrong. Why I would think to dispute a parts drawing that has been around unchanged for 28 years is beyond me....guess I hadn't had my morning tea yet.
    GTG and TWilight like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by GTG View Post
    So, here's a dumb question. Where exactly is the filter element supposed to go?
    In this video https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...ild-video.html at the 13:40 mark, it shows the element inserted into the air filter cover, but in this diagram 2004 Yamaha TW200 (TW200S) Intake | Stadium Yamaha it is on the inside of the guide.
    Yes, I have looked at the maintenance manual, it seems to indicate that the video is correct, but it's not definitive. I just don't see how that configuration works.
    On the inside, pressed in against the metal screen, seems much more likely to be effective, as it is definitely a positive seal. That is where mine is, unless someone can give me a valid reason it shouldn't be.

Thanks!
    Come on, how can that be a dumb question! When i got mine, I thought the metal screen is the air filter and happily riding just with it for a month.

To sidetrack a bit, how to clean the metal screen? Spray water to get out the grime out? I was thinking that water might be sucked into the air mixture..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short of taking it off and blowing it out from the inside - out, I would try a shop vac with the smallest schnozzle you can find. Maybe take the carb off and go at it from the carb end.

I WOULD NOT spray water in there with the carb on.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 05-20-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    kince likes this.

With the cover off, and foam filter out, you should have the outer cover, then the plastic grid/grill inside those tabs, then place foam filter on top of that, then place that on the airbox over the screen, install 4 screws, done. That plastic grid or grill holds the foam in place. In that video, when he just removed the cover off the airbox, that was WRONG. So a recap in a different way: in the direction of the Intake Air Flow from outside in: Plastic grid/grill, foam air filter, metal screen in airbox, then through airbox itself, to rear intake boot, carb.

Also, if using a 2 stage foam filter, make sure the more course open cell foam side faces out or to the outer removeable cover, and the fine, tighter cell foam side faces in towards the metal screen.

So YES, the parts diagram IS CORRECT.
    Last edited by Werloc; 05-20-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
    S.....
    I WOULD NOT spray water in there with the carb on.
    Most definitely NOT!!! I just wet a rag with kerosene and wipe the screen. If yours has a lot of gunk, be sure to pull the little drain tube underneath and clean it too. Of course, if there WAS no foam in there, your airbox might really BE dirty enough to dis-assemble....shine a really bright light in there to see.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

If your screen is dirty, then that means dirt is reaching your carb. Not good. Make sure your filter is clean and oiled with foam filter oil. Regular oil doesn't work good enough. It's not tacky enough. You shouldn't even have any signs of dirt on the inner (screen side) side of the foam filter. I wash mine Dawn dish soap and warm water, let soak an hour or so, then wash out real well. Squeeze out, air dry overnight, place filter in a Zip-Loc freezer bag, spray well with foam filter oil, work in with hands through the bag. This keeps hands clean, and filter dirt free and not messy. Grease the outer sealing edge of airbox where filter sits. This seals filter to airbox, preventing any dirt or fine dust from getting sucked passed the filter. I clean mine after every dusty ride. I have 3 oiled and ready to go filters in bags so changing is quick. I wash and oil whenever I feel like it. No need to wait for it to dry.....

Last edited by Werloc; 05-20-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links