Close

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By elime
  • 4 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By Lyterx
  • 2 Post By elime

Thread: Wiseco Pistons

Wiseco Pistons

I spent part of Sunday and part of Monday honing a 71.0 mm cylinder (jug) to accept a 71.5 mm piston. I placed a 67 mm stock sized piston in the cylinder so you get an idea how much bigger the 71.5 mm is than stock. This should increase the displacement from 196 cc to about 223 cc. The bad news is this piston is only 8.7:1 compression ration. However, it is destined for my parts bike so who cares. The next step is to enlarge the case to accept the larger in diameter cylinder. BTW, the cylinder to piston clearance is .0026".

Stock piston:
    PB160016 (2).JPGPB170016.JPG

71.5 mm piston:
    PB160018.JPGPB170017.JPG

This is the hole in the case that needs to be enlarged about the width of the bevel around the edge. I am hoping to do it the way Ronnydog did, with a Dremel.
    PB110016.JPG

Reports to follow as progress is made. If this all works well I have a 71.0 mm 10.25:1 compression piston for my primary TW. Tony
    Last edited by elime; 05-26-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Far left is dished low compression piston. Middle is domed high compression. Far right is cast stock piston.

PB160018 (2).JPGPB160017 (3).JPG

Edit: I showed this picture to Big D, The PBR, and he said that the cast, stock piston sure looks like crap!

The only TW that I know of that has a pretty Wiseco piston in it is Fred's -- hopefully that will change in the near future.
    Last edited by elime; 05-26-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    The only TW that I know of that has a pretty Wiseco piston in it is Fred's -- hopefully that will change in the near future.
    I bought the piston you posted in my complete tear down thread. Seems to be working fine.
    elime likes this.
    1991 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lyterx View Post
    I bought the piston you posted in my complete tear down thread. Seems to be working fine.
    That makes two!

Did you notice much of an improvement in performance?

The Wiseco piston is a thing of beauty by comparison. I especially like the numerous oil holes bored directly below the rings, I imagine they allow better oil splash through the piston skirt to lubricate higher on the cylinder wall at the top of the stroke.
    As far as performance goes Adam and I traded back and forth for comparative purposes and we both thought that my bike accelerated a little better despite heavier ATV tire. I experimented with 89 octane last weekend and felt perhaps I was getting knocking some ten seconds into a very steep sustained hill climb @ ~6500 ft, 70 degrees F, pulling hard in 3rd. I backed off and finished the climb at a more sedate pace in second without any more unusual engine noises.
    Now I will probably have to grow used to feeding that 10.25 :1 compression ratio 91 octane. My POL dump already has diesel, two-stroke, and 85 octane for the ranchero life ( love my 4-stroke line trimmer..lots of off-idle torque for quite trimming while Mrs. Fred sleeps in) so what is another fuel jug?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I can't really tell, I haven't rode my bike bike since late last fall. I will let my buddy ride it and see what he thinks compared to his.
    1991 TW200

I can tell a definite difference between my stock motor and my gf's bike with the wiseco piston in it. Hers has more power for sure, riding both back to back numerous times has confirmed that for me.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    As far as performance goes Adam and I traded back and forth for comparative purposes and we both thought that my bike accelerated a little better despite heavier ATV tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I can tell a definite difference between my stock motor and my gf's bike with the wiseco piston in it. Hers has more power for sure, riding both back to back numerous times has confirmed that for me.
    I like positive results. Glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyterx View Post
    I can't really tell, I haven't rode my bike bike since late last fall. I will let my buddy ride it and see what he thinks compared to his.
    Report back when you find out. I will be interested in the results.

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar
    Reviving an old thread! What kinda work and cost is required to go from stock piston to this wiseco beaut? Honing the cylinder and what about the valves and top
    End?

The cost of the piston -- search ebay and you might get lucky -- around $100 and then have a machinist bore or hone the cylinder -- $50 to $100. Get a complete gasket set off ebay which cost about the same as a new head gasket and base gasket -- about $40. The TW head itself works fine but you will need a 225 head gasket because of the larger bore.

I bought a cylinder hone for about $150 so I could enlarge the cylinder myself. You will also need the right micrometers and know how to use them, a good slow speed electric drill, and a ton of patience (patients ????) if you go this route.

I never got around to using my 71.0mm or 71.5mm piston or cylinder.
    Donzo and jbfla like this.

Sponosred Links