spark arrestors and oring chains
Close

spark arrestors and oring chains

This may be a pretty basic question for most folks, but I've never had a "dirt bike" before and all of my previous bikes were either shaft or belt driven. So I need sum edjuamication.

Question 1
    What does a "spark arrestor" look like on the TW200? Google shows a couple of different screen-like devices, but usually shows them paired with non-standard mufflers. Is it standard for the stock muffler? If not, how can I tell if the bike has one?

Question 2
    What makes an oring chain superior to a regular chain? It appears to be one of those universal upgrades everyone says is essential, but why? Do they require different maintenance than a regular chain?
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

All stock TWs have a spark arrestor in the end of the muffler unless some foolish PO removed it.

O Ring and X ring chains are very much superior to the stock chain. The rubber rings, O or X go behind the joining plates and seal the roller bearings from outside water and dirt getting in and this is where 90% of chain ware occurs. Ringed chains are pre lubricated and need very little external lubrication. Where a stock roller chain might last a few thousand miles and require constant adjustment and lubrication/cleaning the ringed chains should last at least 10,000+ miles with very little adjusting and lubing. Chain ware directly relates to sprocket ware so by upgrading to a ringed chain you get the added benefit of longer lasting sprockets.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links