Sprocket and O Ring Chain Help...Please!!
Close

Well, I can't figure out the search feature on the older forum, and can't find anything here so far. Does not look like the server supports searchs? I don't know. I can't find any info on what length O ring chain (in links) I need with a 57 tooth rear and 13 tooth front sprocket set. Also do you think that my choice of sprockets would be fine for SOME blacktop (non hiway) use, but mostly crawling in some ugly boulder strewn, 30%+ grade single tracks...would you go lower? Would like the bike to run at 50mph on the blacktop without winding it too much. Thanks for your help. The stock 50/14 setup is WAY to high geared for my needs. And frankly, making the TW go over 55 scares the heck out of me anyway. See ya, Rif

If you go up a couple of posts to "Sprocket / Speed Calculator" it will provide accurate information regarding rpm at a given speed with different combinations of sprockets....

The software for the old forum is not in place anymore. Use Google to search by adding site:tw200forum.com/forums/ to the search string.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Long live the internal combustion engine!

The sprocket calculator does not list what sprockets I have from the factory on a 1991 TW. I am assuming they are 14/50 but could be wrong with out actually counting.

I would like to make the top a bit taller for mostly road riding and am not sure if going to a 15 front is the right thing or what size rear I would want if only changing it. I know there was a thread here somewhere before the change that had all the various combos but I can't find it now and I did not read in to it very well when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    The sprocket calculator does not list what sprockets I have from the factory on a 1991 TW. I am assuming they are 14/50 but could be wrong with out actually counting.

I would like to make the top a bit taller for mostly road riding and am not sure if going to a 15 front is the right thing or what size rear I would want if only changing it. I know there was a thread here somewhere before the change that had all the various combos but I can't find it now and I did not read in to it very well when I was there.
    Gary, Goldenhtr's link has the sprocket calculator in it.
    You have the 14/50 factory sprockets most likely. Click on Goldenhtr's link for the calculator. Set it as 14/50 as the current setting, then change the new to 15/50 or 14/47 ,whatever you are looking for.
    For example: 14/50 to 15/50 gives you a 7.1 increase in speed, but also 7.1 decrease in torque. (front sprocket)
    A 14/50 to 14/47 gives you a 6.4 increase in speed, and also a 6.4 decrease in torque. (rear sprocket)
    A one tooth change on the front sprocket is like a three tooth change on the rear sprocket.
    The front sprocket of course is cheaper to change than the rear, but harder to do. They should be done as a set if there are many miles on them.

Thanks again Tommy. This seems like a tough decision based on all the reading I am doing here. Some guys absolutely love the 14/47 combo while others think it is awful and I don't get that. I will not be changing anything until there is a need and with just over 800 miles on the bike I guess I have some chain and sprocket life left to research this further. It is also quite possible that any change will be barking at the moon so to speak.

So many things affect the bike when you change sprockets, a little hill, wind, your weight? I was going to originally change mine too until I read all those threads, and seeing that I am not a small rider, I chose to leave them alone. Yamaha really did do a pretty good job with the design. I do think that small riders can get away with it to an extent, but not me. Keep us posted on what you decide and post your results and thoughts.

One of the guys I ride with has a 47T rear sprocket and rides just fine on moderate forest service logging roads. He's even ridden up to some of the fire lookouts without complaint. Changing the rear sprocket isn't going to cost you that much money and is pretty easy to change. Go ahead and change the stock 50T rear sprocket to and 47T rear sprocket and see if you like it and meets your needs. Your won't really be out that much money if you don't like it. If I didn't do so much off road mountain riding, I'd try a 47T. Good luck and happy trails!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links