Bike sputters when switching to reserve fuel?.
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Leisure Time Larry
  • 1 Post By Leisure Time Larry
  • 2 Post By admiral

Thread: Bike sputters when switching to reserve fuel?.

Bike sputters when switching to reserve fuel?.

Plodding along 2 days ago around 55mph knowing I was due to refuel. Shortly , 10 miles later , I switch to reserve fuel. The bike momentarily regains composer. Moments later the bike begins to sputter as if running out of fuel???. I made the gas station 5 or so miles later ; refuled , spun the fuel knob back to "on" no more sputtering?. Perhaps the reserve portion of the petcock needs cleaned . Any suggeztions. TIA.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Now that you're full, turn it back to RES and see if it is still doing it. If so, it may be time to remove the petcock from the tank and give it a good cleaning. Do you have a fuel filter in line past the petcock just in case some grid gets through? If not, it would be a good time to do it. Good luck!
    jbfla and littletommy like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Just reread the original post...so when you changed to RES the first time, was it because you needed to because the bike was cutting out or running out in the ON position, or because you thought you were getting low?
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Water and separated ethanol settle to the bottom of the tank.

When you turn the petcock to Reserve, the fuel is drawn from the lowest part of the tank...where the crud is located.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I only went to reserve one time that day due to running low on fuel.
    Good idea of turning it back to reserve since it's full to see if it does this again.....good methodology. Bike was not cutting out prior to changing over to reserve.

With a full tank , I switched to reserve for a mile or so at 50 mph......no sputtering?. Perhaps I'll check the tank closer to empty next time . And or pull the petcock and check it out.

Maybe run some seafoam in a tank of gas, and run that tank in the RES position. That might clean it up a bit. Just don't forget that you are pulling from the reserve tube and fill up early!

Again, I strongly recommend adding a inline fuel filter if you don't already have one.
    Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 06-06-2015 at 09:25 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    ....... And or pull the petcock and check it out.
    If you have never done this it is definitely worth it to pull the tank, empty it into a bowl, remove the petcock and get every last drop of fuel out, then clean it gently with gas and a soft brush. You may be surprised at what comes out, and if it is a lot, add a cup of gas and slosh it a second time with your finger over the petcock hole and roll it to get everything out of the right side. I do this every other year. It only takes 30 minutes.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Plodding along 2 days ago around 55mph knowing I was due to refuel. Shortly , 10 miles later , I switch to reserve fuel. The bike momentarily regains composer. Moments later the bike begins to sputter as if running out of fuel???. I made the gas station 5 or so miles later ; refuled , spun the fuel knob back to "on" no more sputtering?. Perhaps the reserve portion of the petcock needs cleaned . Any suggeztions. TIA.
    Hey Frog, just read this and want to add my 2 cents and not discount any other possibility as suggested by above comments..

When I'm riding at 55 mph (ish), and have to go to reserve, my TW stumbled as well. What I think I discovered is; the fuel runs out of the carb float bowl, then when you switch to reserve, it starts to fill once again. Problem is you're still trying to go 55 mph with the throttle wide open and the carb float bowl can't get filled quick enough from the gas tank to keep up.

My solution was to slow down or pull off the road and stop momentarily. This allowed time for the float bowl to fill up once again. After just a few seconds, I was good to go, or at least until I found a gas station.

I know slowing down in traffic can be dangerous, but you've probably already slowed when the engine started to cut out anyway. If no one is behind me, I slow to below 50 mph, or if someone is behind me, I quickly pull over to the side of the road. Common sense dictates what actions you need to take.

Just thought I'd mention my experiences. I thought this situation was unique to my old TW, but just yesterday I had the same thing on my new TW when I had to go to reserve.

This hasn't happened on any other motorcycle I've owned when switching to reserve, but has on the TW when going fast. Going slow it just switches over normally.
    Fred and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links