V Star shock
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: V Star shock

V Star shock

Mentioned on another thread that I was getting a V Star shock for my short girlfriend

The V Star shock came in early. I picked the best looking shock off ebay but now I wonder. The rear is VERY bouncy now, as if there were only a spring with no shock . Before putting it on I looked at the preload setting. The V Star is a very much heavier bike, the girl is about 115 (I think, Im not allowed to ask), so I set it at the lowest....1. Im 180, I got a pretty good jump on my property, it bottoms out when hitting the ramp.

Question. Will increasing the preload get rid of the bouncy? I hope so but dont think it will.

Lastly, dont know why I didnt think of it but the kick stand is useless now. Those that have used this shock what did you do about your kick stand?
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

I used the V-Star for awhile and was very happy. I did not want to lower anything as I am about 6'. I was looking for comfort/soft. No one wants/needs bouncy. My shock worked great and I was very happy. Of course, I had to make a bracket extension to duplicate the height of the stock shock so I would likely not create other problems (k. stand).

What leaves me puzzled is your comment about a jump, and the shock bottoming. Remember, with the shorter shock, your tire is closer to the fender. You should not bounce with a good body. If your body is shorter, your shock is shorter and your tire is more likely to hit if you jump. Correct me if I am wrong, but, with the mod you needed to do, you can't have it both ways; full stock travel, lower seat height. My V-Star next to stock. Gerry

Last edited by Gerry; 06-05-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

TWilight, yes I did try to compress it on the floor before install. My exact words were "shit that aint happening"

I know the TW aint a jumper but it was an easy way to test to see if it would bottom out. It bottoms out when hitting the ramp, not when landing. And its not huge...........hold on........Ill go take a pic.

Heres the shock I got.
    2002 Yamaha V Star XVS1100 XVS 1100 Rear Shock Suspension | eBay

Looking at the auction pic, I had to remove the monkey motion off that shock. Looking on partzilla, thats the bottom of the shock. When I put it in I oriented the same as the TW shock, body down, piston rod up. Meaning I think I installed it upside down.............if thats the case................boy do I feel stupid. Could an upsidedown shock cause it to be bouncy?

As far as the kickstand......its useless. Its straight up and down, I could blow on it and it would fall over (the bike).
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just noticed Gerrys pic. Thats how I installed it. But, thats not how its installed in the Vstar, its opposite.

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2002 V-STAR 1100 CLASSIC - XVS1100AP REAR ARM SUSPENSION Diagram
    Hidden Content

I think I found my answer (I love talking to myself ) From Monroes website

Can shock absorbers be mounted upside down (rod end down) and still function properly?
    Most modern shock absorbers utilize a twin (dual) tube construction; in order to work properly the inner of the two tubes (working chamber) should stay completely filled with oil. The outer (reserve) tube contains an oil reserve along with air or a pressurized gas. If the unit is mounted inverted (rod side down), the air or gas in the outer chamber can enter the inner working chamber, resulting in poor damping performance. Therefore, twin tube shock absorbers should not be mounted upside down (or on their side), with the exception of specially designed units that incorporate a gas cell, or cellular gas material, designed to keep the gas retained in the outer reserve tube.
    Hidden Content

Ugggg.............I hate doing things twice. Off to go do it again
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content

If you want my body, pay shipping and send me a surprize (you be the judge). I will trim the brackets and redrill. Gerry
    Dryden-Tdub and TWilight like this.

That did it! No more bouncy. I set the preload to midway now the only way the tire will rub is flying off that jump the opposite way, rubs on landing. BUT, Im 180 pounds, girlfriend is 120 and WOULD NEVER do anything like flying off a jump so no worries there. I think were good to go. Thanks for the offer Gerry, dont think Ill need it though.

I will have to shorten or get a shorter kickstand, heres a pic of how she sets. I dont trust it like that so put it on jacks for now.

Dryden-Tdub, TWilight and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    If you want my body, pay shipping and send me a surprize (you be the judge). I will trim the brackets and redrill. Gerry
    was i the only person who giggled when they read this?
    am i far too juvenile for this board?

oops.
    DrTerrible likes this.

Glad it worked out for you. Since my shock was not at all bouncy, I am perplexed. I remembered that my shock no long has the spring installed, so I went out in the shop and clamped the shock in a vice I have mounted on the floor. Put a rod through the mounting holes and pulled and pushed the shock. Either way the shock offers significant resistance regardless of which end is up. The shock appears rebuildable, and not likely gas filled. The end the rod comes out of has three evenly spaced cut outs for a spanner of some sort. I am left with the impression that with the right tool, or a brass drift punch, that end can be unscrewed and the shock taken apart. How many years did they make V-Stars. Were they all pretty much the same? Gerry
    Ken likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links