Putting a new float boal gasket on....
Close

Putting a new float boal gasket on....

My float bowl is covered in burnt gas at the seam and it only runs with full choke. Im guessing i have an air leak at the float bowl. I wanna know what i need to do to take the throttle cables off before i just start blindly messing with it. Its a 2012

You might try using a JIS screwdriver and very gently try to tighten up the screws first. Run a strong dose of Lucus Deep System Fuel Cleaner/or Seafoam in the tank (3 or 4oz) and drive it. Personally, I use the Lucus for bad problems and the Seafoam for maintenance from time to time. It could be a bad gasket though. I would try tightening it first.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Tighten, but not too much! To remove the float bowl we usually remove the throttle cables but it is possible to do rotate the carb enough to access the float bowl screws with carb still on bike and cables attached. However I would be tempted to remove and inspect/ clean the carb and thus know it is in good shape before reassembly. this will also help ensure the float bowl gasket is installed correctly. The service manual describes the entire process including cable removal and re-installation.
    I usually deviate from the recommended cable procedure and leave cables attached to the plate on the carb and simply remove plate and return spring leaving cable adjustment un-altered. However reinstallation requires pulling the return spring clockwise with a thin piece of wire or string until spring engages it's detent. This requires working blind since you cannot see spring, takes a bit of finesse and/or grumbling the first time.
    If you do not have the Service Manual and Supplement it is available online, downloadable for free. You should be able to use the search feature there to find a link for the free-bees.
    "Burnt Gasoline" may hopefully not be the most accurate term but irregardless it is good that you want to address and solve the problem. Good Luck!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Tighten, but not too much! To remove the float bowl we usually remove the throttle cables but it is possible to do rotate the carb enough to access the float bowl screws with carb still on bike and cables attached. However I would be tempted to remove and inspect/ clean the carb and thus know it is in good shape before reassembly. this will also help ensure the float bowl gasket is installed correctly. The service manual describes the entire process including cable removal and re-installation.
    I usually deviate from the recommended cable procedure and leave cables attached to the plate on the carb and simply remove plate and return spring leaving cable adjustment un-altered. However reinstallation requires pulling the return spring clockwise with a thin piece of wire or string until spring engages it's detent. This requires working blind since you cannot see spring, takes a bit of finesse and/or grumbling the first time.
    If you do not have the Service Manual and Supplement it is available online, downloadable for free. You should be able to use the search feature there to find a link for the free-bees.
    "Burnt Gasoline" may hopefully not be the most accurate term but irregardless it is good that you want to address and solve the problem. Good Luck!
    Lol yeah burnt gasoline doesnt sound right for sure, but with it running so hot from high idle its turned whatever gas comes out the carb bowl to burn red/brown onto it!

I have a pet phrase ..." I hear what you mean, not what you say" so perfectly accurate terminology isn't always that important. I was first thinking "varnish" but from your description "burnt gas" sounds equally good. After all the leaking fuel's volatiles evaporate away residual less volatile opponents attract dirt forming the highly technical term " Grunge". We should ask Werloc, our resident east coast bike mechanic to see if you Yankees coloqually refer to it as "Mung" or something else.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links