TW occasionally stalls 2-3min after starting, won't start again until it rests
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TW occasionally stalls 2-3min after starting, won't start again until it rests

Hello everyone,

I just bought a '90 TW200 on craigslist a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed something odd about it. First thing in the morning, it will start up totally fine and ride well. However, after I have ridden and stopped off somewhere for a bit, when I restart it the engine just won't turn over. If I return the petcock to 'Off', let it sit for a few minutes, then try to kick it over, it works just fine. The battery is shot on this bike (new one is ordered!) so I'm just kick starting it at the moment.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this?

Thank you!

Is there any fuel in the oil? Check oil level. Too high? Does the oil smell like gasoline?

If the difference between cranking over & not cranking over is the petcock, maybe the engine is hydro-locking.

The oil looks and smells fine, and is the appropriate level. I might just run some Seafoam through it to see if perhaps there could be gunk clogging up the carbs or jets. It starts fine after a minute or two, and runs well after that, but it's happened to me twice so far. I'll figure it out!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For a couple months before I had to repair my needle valve seat o-ring, it would occasionally stall on me when I was riding slow. Also had the same symtoms as you, stopped and not restart, without turning the petcock off. I attributed this to the cold weather, but was wrong at the time. With the internal fuel leaking and at low speed, I was flooding it. I too would shut the petcock off for a bit and then it would start back up. It wasn't until the leak got really bad (while I was in the middle of nowhere), that the fuel then started leaking really bad.

So what I'm trying to suggest, carb issue and maybe not just clogged jets. Could be a sticky float or even what happened to mine, valve seat o-ring gone bad. So, you'll probably want to check out the carb first. Clean clean & inspect.

Good luck

Thanks admiral - I think you're dead on there. I would get a stronger gas smell when it would stall, so my best guess would be flooding. Might have to do with the choke too - I think I need to get used to this bike's individual quirks to get it right.

I would replace the needle and seat.If your taking it apart to clean and inspect you may aswell just put in new ones.The TW does not have a choke it's an enricher.My lawn tractor is doing the same thing but it's filling the crank case with fuel.

Tip of the needle may be worn. It may not be seating and causes the carb to flood out.

A 1990 TW?

Only 25 years young...

Might need more than a few carb parts.

It's worth taking a close look at the carb internals to see what has been done by previous owners, and to check for worn parts.

Make a note of the main and pilot jet sizes.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

rbm
    Have you checked for gas flow from the tank with the petcock in both positions?

SO I think I've figured it out. It seems that the PO jetted the bike to be pretty rich, so when I would start it using the choke, if I didn't immediately shut off the choke, the bike would stall. After testing, the carb was flooded, which would kill the engine. Now that I know that, it's pretty easy to just keep an eye and mental note on how rich the fueling is. Thanks again for all the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links