I was more of moron today than a mechanic
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: I was more of moron today than a mechanic

I was more of moron today than a mechanic

I feel guilty even posting this in the Technical "Help" forum, but here goes.

I thought that I would spend a little time reassembling the TW/TTR225 6-speed engine that I have been working on for way too long. The bottom end, tranny, clutch and flywheel are already back together. Today's project was to check the ring end gaps, install and align the rings on the piston and install the piston and cylinder. Simple right?

Here are the tools and parts ready to get to work.

100_5152.JPG

Checking the end gaps went fine, as did installing the rings onto the piston. Getting the oil rings and the oil expander ring gaps aligned was a pain in the butt, but that was eventually successfully accomplished. Next steps were to compress the rings with the ring compressor, slide the piston into the cylinder, position the cylinder/piston over the connecting rod, install the wrist pin and circlips, seat the cylinder down onto the base gasket and install the two socket head bolts to secure the cylinder to the crankcase. This sounds a lot easier than it is (at least for me!), but I was able to do it. As I was admiring my work, I happened to see that I had installed the piston backwards! The arrow on the top of the piston that is supposed to be pointing to the exhaust, was pointing towards the intake. Crap!

I then took it all apart, realigned the ring end gaps and reinstalled everything. Oops, almost everything. When I had pulled the cylinder off, I had also removed the base gasket and set it aside so it wouldn't get damaged, but then I neglected to put it back on. Crap! For the second time, everything came apart again.

This time, with the base gasket in place, I was installing the final wrist pin circlip and needed just a smidge more clearance. As I was gently pushing the cylinder slightly up, it slipped and came up and off the rings. Crap! For the third time, everything came apart again.

So, after one step forward and three steps backwards, I decided that I had better hang it up for today and leave this job for another time.

been there,
    feeling your frustration
    some days its hard to keep your head in the game.

Rewired a new 220 outlet 3 times today.
    SanDue, mudbug, tcepilot and 1 others like this.

Wow you're going to be an expert at taking that thing apart and putting it back together. Maybe try with a blindfold next time. Using chopsticks.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would have installed the piston on the con rod and then slipped it into the cylinder. I have done it by pushing the rings into the grooves with my finger. Or if that doesn't work, I have used a hose clamp to compress the rings. The hose clamp can then easily be removed, but the easiest, fastest way is just use your finger.

As for all the other trials and tribulations -- I know the frustration but it is amazing how easy it is when you come back a day or two later and do it again. It practically falls together by itself.

BTW that sure is a nice looking piston!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

You are not alone with these mechanical screw ups and at least you saw your mistakes early enough to correct them. Your story brings to mind my experience with changing out brake pads and rotors on new vehicles. I have probably done this job at least once on every vehicle I have ever owned and it is a rather straight forward swap. How come the first side takes four times as long as the other side?

Good that you realized your brain cramp and I hope you just went in the house and sat down with a beer or cocktail and left it for another day. It could actually be worse and at the end after everything is all back together and the torque wrench gets put away you find a left over part or two. Been there and done that too!

GaryL
    mudbug, tcepilot and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Thanks guys, I for one feel comforted in knowing I'm not the only one. Boy Brian, you are one neat/organized fellow. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Mate. Happens to the best of us. At least you realized your error before completing installation.
    At least your following the proper procedure. Lots of folks don't bother checking gaps and the like.
    Slow down and enjoy the process. When it's not fun, why bother?
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Maybe a flow checklist next time?
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Maybe a flow checklist next time?
    Yes, maybe.

I can lay awake and walk through these things time and time again.

And undobitably, something always rears it's ugly...

You are not alone Brian ; )

Way to get those knuckles dir...exercised.
    mudbug, tcepilot and jtomelliott49 like this.

reminds me of putting in a new garbage disposal and getting ready to try it..... oops! then realizing i forgot to take out the plastic plug.
    jeffrolives, Gerry, SanDue and 3 others like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links