Noob Needs Tech Help
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Noob Needs Tech Help

Noob Needs Tech Help

So I was riding the Dub yesterday and while climbing a hill my chain broke about three links away from the master. So now my question is do I fix it myself (I have only basic tools and no previous motorcycle repairs skills) or do I take it to the local shop and have them fix it (knowing it will cost more)?

If I do it myself i know i will learn how to fix/maintain in the future, but the initial out of pocket expense to buy all the stuff needed (chain, chain breaker, rear wheel stand or other lift) would be close to the cost of taking it to the shop.

If i fix it myself how do I know that I am buying the right chain (JC Whitney had them from $18 - $150)? How do I know if it is too tight or too loose?

#TheStruggleIsReal

thanks
    mudbug likes this.

Do it your self. Get a good chain break tool. One can be had for under 20 bucks. You can use a five gallon bucket for a stand. Get a DID 428VX chain. If very thing is stock (sprockets) you'll need 122 links. Check your master link before putting it on the bike. You can use the chain break tool to adjust the pins on that so you don't crush the O rings. It's not nuclear psychiatry.
    mudbug and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_armstrong5 View Post
    So I was riding the Dub yesterday and while climbing a hill my chain broke about three links away from the master. So now my question is do I fix it myself (I have only basic tools and no previous motorcycle repairs skills) or do I take it to the local shop and have them fix it (knowing it will cost more)?

If I do it myself i know i will learn how to fix/maintain in the future, but the initial out of pocket expense to buy all the stuff needed (chain, chain breaker, rear wheel stand or other lift) would be close to the cost of taking it to the shop.

If i fix it myself how do I know that I am buying the right chain (JC Whitney had them from $18 - $150)? How do I know if it is too tight or too loose?

#TheStruggleIsReal

thanks
    Let the shop replace the chain as i assume it is off the bike now. If you do it you will have to pull the front cover and I don't think you are quite ready for that yet. It requires a gasket and you will be doing an oil change. Let them handle that the first time unless you pick up a manual and wish to go at it and then no problems. I would suggest that you purchase the chain yourself and that it be a DID 428VX-X ring 122 link chain. However, first check the sprokets and see if they need replacing and if so do you want to stay with the stock 14/50's or go up or down in size. If you are thinking of changing the gearing ratios, please comment.
    Last edited by dogonit; 06-15-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was kind of leaning towards the shop myself, I saw a thread with a detailed explination of gear swap and chain replacement and ya, there was a lot of removing going on.
    I wouldn't mind changing the ratio, but am in no hurry to do so, that can wait until I have had more practice with general maintenance. Would like to be able to get a more comfortable (not feeling like the engine will explode) top end. Not looking to race down the freeway, but would like to be able to ride the highway and not feel like a road hazard.

I assume that I need to be looking for broken/worn teeth on the sprockets as an indicator for a change?
    Last edited by bill_armstrong5; 06-15-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Most chains come with a split link

chkmc-unilink.jpg

The new chain (and you’ll need one if the original is coming apart) will also come with a split link — the theory being “how are you supposed to get it on there if it doesn’t have a split link”

Relax — screwdriver and a pair of pliers ……………

Always worth checking the sprockets for wear - especially the front as it goes round a lot faster than the rear - broken teeth and you've left it too long (a bit like your chain) ..................
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

A dealership might likely do a complete job of new chain, sprockets, cover gasket, seals, etc and while very nice and correct can get expensive quickly if you do not limit the scope of work beforehand. If you are on a budget and/or your sprockets and chain have more life left to them you could maybe ask a non-affiliated shop to do minimum by replacing broken link with second master link and then fish repaired chain over front sprocket w/o removing cover. Your call. With chain off and a flashlight you should be able to evaluate your front sprocket's health. "Hooking" , not broken teeth, would be the indicator of wear.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Did you call Westside Motorsport's? How much did they want? Other bike shops might be cheaper.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Most chains come with a split link

chkmc-unilink.jpg

The new chain (and you’ll need one if the original is coming apart) will also come with a split link — the theory being “how are you supposed to get it on there if it doesn’t have a split link”

Relax — screwdriver and a pair of pliers ……………

Always worth checking the sprockets for wear - especially the front as it goes round a lot faster than the rear - broken teeth and you've left it too long (a bit like your chain) ..................
    The DID428VX-X ring chains require an extra purchase of the link. I would suggest that one always orders 2. Solves a lot of potential issues later.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

"Split Link" Purple? We colonials call that a "Master Link"..Attachment 18618
    When are you UK folks gonna learn to speak english properly?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Did you call Westside Motorsport's? How much did they want? Other bike shops might be cheaper.
    They are closed on Sundays Tommy.

If i can fix the link with a new master link that might be an easier option, I will look at it more in depth tonight after work to determine if anything else needs done. It probably wont considering the bike only has 900 miles on it. Main difficulty would be threading it over the front sprocket without removing the cover.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links