My first 1990 tw 200 problems- newbie
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My first 1990 tw 200 problems- newbie

Post My first 1990 tw 200 problems- newbie

Hello all, im 17 and i just purchased my first TW200. After much research i still have some questions. I rebuilt my carb, trying to get it back in was a two hour, two man job... The carb simply would not fit, if it was snug up against the air box rubber it simply would not reach all the way to the engine seal vice versa. I know it has all the parts and they are original. Now it is sitting snug to the engine but the carb intake side is about a 1/4"+ not on. Me and my very experienced father could not clamp and stretch it over the remaining length no matter what, we even used a heat gun. My other problem is when i get up to about 60 km the bike starts to miss, (as if i were letting off and on the gas) stopping me from getting up to 4th gear. Plug is new, Im thinking the coil is starting to go? History of the bike is its has 11000k and the dealership did all the old guys maintenance plus been sitting for 5 years. Ive done all the regular maintenance to the bike. If you want me to better describe or video what happens at higher speeds, i can. Any suggestions would be appreciated,,, Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Will,

Congratulations on your new TW and welcome to the forum!

On older bikes like yours, shrinkage of the rubber boot between the carb and the airbox is a pretty common problem. I am not sure if anyone has come up with a solution for this besides just buying a new replacement boot.

Brian
    littletommy likes this.

Thanks,

Does anyone know where i can find one? I cant see any on ebay. Will my local Yamaha dealer carry one for my 1990? I live in Canada.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    My local Yamaha dealer would not have that in stock, but would get it for me in a week, at a stealership price. I usually order from Rockymountain Atv or bike bandit. Welcome!

Thanks guys! ill post a pic of it tomorow, its a real gem.

My TW was also standing for a couple of years and it took me some time to get it going

It looks to me like you have a problem with getting enough fuel flow at high revs. I suggest that you take your fuel tank off and rinse it properly.

If it is rusted on the inside take it to a bike shop so that they can remove the rust with acid and then coat the inside of the tank.

Then also the petcock has filter screens on it inside the tank and they clog up and get brittle and prevent the fuel from flowing properly when they get old so I recommend that you remove the filter screens as well and then put an in-line fuel filter between the carb and the fuel tank.

That's what I did with my TW and now it is running smoothly!
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

I think you are right. There is minor rust, enough if i stick my finger in there and rub it around my finger will be slightly brown. But the rust spots are only small and spotty. I could see evidence of this in the carb. I've seen videos on youtube of guys cleaning the fuel tanks with vinegar. As for the petcock, setting it to the off position still leaks fuel. It hasn't been touched in 25 years so this is all expected. I kind of wanted to keep the original petcock and i heard they make rebuild kits so i might do that. I don't think my problem its electrical or spark related because the fuel only cuts off at higher speeds. But then again its choppy not smooth when its struggling for gas. The bike also takes about 5x longer to fully warm up as my 09 honda crf100 did. I think i saw somewhere that this is normal for these bikes so maybe that's not a big deal. -Thanks-
    Last edited by will; 06-16-2015 at 04:36 AM.

Great, if you unscrew the petcock and remove it from the fuel tank you will see the filter screens and I'm certain that they will be clogged up too.

Go to Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle to get rebuild kits for the TW
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

As mentioned by Brian, your air to carb boot is shrunk and needs replacing. My 1987 is in the same shape and if air is getting in around that seal then you can expect to have performance issues up in the higher RPM range. Any dealer or after market supplier will have the new boot or get it. I have never found a way to stretch them back out or get them to seal so just bite the bullet and get a new one.

Read my tutorial about bringing back a sitting bike and do the tank, petcock and carb cleaning before you even start looking for deeper issues. Take the petcock apart and you will likely find gunk in behind the turn lever and one or both of the screens on it all gunked up. No free fuel flow and you can be sure of running issues.

GaryL
    joeband likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The petcock and carb boot are not expensive and should just be replaced.I used the POR kit to clean my tank and line it and mine was so bad inside I thought I would have to replace it.
    Where in Canada are you? We don't see too many TW's up here.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links