ON THE SUBJECT...of bar ends...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ON THE SUBJECT...of bar ends...

ON THE SUBJECT...of bar ends...

I'm looking for an easy way to get one end of the handlebars temporarily open.

Here's what's going on. I like the TW. Much. But as we all know, it BUZZES. As a high-revving little thumper will do.

I'm an old-fart, with incipient Carpal Tunnel and some neuralgia, especially in the left hand. Vibration doesn't do it for me these days.

In my tool kit, I have a "Recoilless Hammer." Filled with steel pellets. I can whack a steel post, and it won't bounce. I want to do the same on these handlebars.

I want to pour lead shot into the handlebars to mitigate the vibration somewhat.

This should be easy...right?

Not so fast. On the left side...I have NO idea how those Yamaha line-workers put the grips on; because that one's not coming off without a utility knife. I don't want to get destructive here.

On the RIGHT side...the throttle. Of COURSE there's not enough slack in the throttle cables to get the assembly off the end of the bar.

Now, the obvious thing is to just remove the bar and then remove the throttle assembly.

Except...sizing it up...the clutch lever has to come off; and maybe the front brake lever and cylinder. That...is a LOT deeper than I wanted to get to...with my bolt-butcher skills

Anyone have a way to JUST PEEL OFF the left handgrip? That I can pour my lead shot into the handlebar and see if it does the trick?

FWIW...I did the same on my CB1100 already; and while subtle and not a complete cure, it did mitigate the vibration to where it no longer sets my left hand singing...

Heat gun?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Heat gun?
    Okay. WHERE?

That's a lot of surface. Frankly, I think you'd start a rubber fire before you got uniform heat and got it off.

I tried rolling it. Not good. Too long a distance to roll

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was thinking kind of from a distance, then some channel locks loosely gripping trying to get it to start twisting and then off. I have a better idea thinking about it some more. Do you have "air" available? An compressor and a air nozzle...try to get some air in there under high pressure and it should come off.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

If you don't have a compressor and a blow off nozzle handy, try and insert a small Phillips screwdriver to get a small channel started under the large end of the grip. Then, insert the red straw on a can of WD40 and squirt some under the grip. Twist the grip and see if you can loosen it up some. Repeat the process by inserting the screwdriver a little more, and adding some more WD40, until the entire grip is loosened up.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    If you don't have a compressor and a blow off nozzle handy, try and insert a small Phillips screwdriver to get a small channel started under the large end of the grip. Then, insert the red straw on a can of WD40 and squirt some under the grip. Twist the grip and see if you can loosen it up some. Repeat the process by inserting the screwdriver a little more, and adding some more WD40, until the entire grip is loosened up.
    Sounds like a good idea.

No, I don't have access to compressed air. I have a tire pump and could buy a tank...but this is going to be an hours-long project.

I'm starting to think...since the grips are not that good anyway, maybe this is the excuse I need to slice them off.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Sounds like a good idea.

No, I don't have access to compressed air. I have a tire pump and could buy a tank...but this is going to be an hours-long project.

I'm starting to think...since the grips are not that good anyway, maybe this is the excuse I need to slice them off.
    You could always just slice the end off, and use this as a good excuse to mount up some hand guards too.
    littletommy likes this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    You could always just slice the end off, and use this as a good excuse to mount up some hand guards too.
    I thought about that, too. But if I slice the ends off, I have to have a stopper handy.

If I have hand-guards ready to install, I'm good. But right now I don't.

We get to hammering corks or stuffing paper towels in, to keep in the lead shot.

First, Buy a set of Mushroom grips, soft a cushy and just what we older geezers will love. Second, cut the left side grip right off and toss that hard POS in the trash and do the same on the right throttle side and install that new grip. Third, lay the bike on the right side and pour in lead shot, the kind used for loading shot gun shells. Bang on the bars as the lead pellets go in to make sure it gets filled up. Install the left side grip and go have a nice ride with a lot less of that high frequency vibration.

I did this exact upgrade on my 1991 and it made a major difference. I also changed the bars eventually to the Pro Taper ATV High bars and filled them too. Just the slight change in angle and height made for a way more comfortable wrist position. Before doing any of these changes I was in agony. So bad that my hands got completely numb and I could not even pull my zipper down to P for at least 5 minutes after going just ten or 15 miles.

GaryL
    JustPassinThru likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Is "Mushroom" a brand name?

I just did a google and all sorts of grips popped up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links