Clutch lever pulled in, wheel still spinning? Adjustments needed
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Clutch lever pulled in, wheel still spinning? Adjustments needed

Clutch lever pulled in, wheel still spinning? Adjustments needed

I dumped the TW while doing donuts in a local sandpit. My hand was on the clutch and the wheel was still spinning around. I was able to safely stop the wheel with my other hand, but when I let go it started spinning again. This is all with the clutch lever pulled all the way in.

I'm wondering what I need to adjust. I don't want to start loosening things off without some guidance. Is it a clutch perch adjustment? Or further down the line?

When I bought the bike, the clutch return spring was not installed properly as is common. Would this wear down the clutch or cause some sort of malfunction?

The bikes shifts ok, but often it's tricky trying to shift when the bike is not moving. Also, it wont roll when in gear with the clutch pulled in. This can't be right..

Howaa!
    1989 Tw200
    1991 Tw200
    2008 WR250R
    2004 Ford Ranger FXR Lvl II

Cable has probably just stretched a bit with normal use. I like to maintain a bit of adjustability at the perch for on-the-trail adjustments so typically make major adjustments at home by extending the cable length adjusters at the case. You might wish to also confirm that you are getting full travel at the handlebars when you pull in the clutch lever, that lever is not contacting anything limiting travel.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

The wheel will spin if in gear and the clutch is pulled in. There is oil between the clutch plates and that is enough to get the back wheel going. It should move, if in gear and the clutch is pulled in though. You may need to make an adjustment. You can do it at the perch. Slide the little rubber boot thingy down and loosen the larger locking wheel nut. Screw the inner screw out that is attached to the clutch cable and has the clutch cable running through it. Re-tighten the locking wheel. You should have about a half inch, measured at the end of the clutch lever, of free play.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 06-18-2015 at 07:26 PM.
    Gerry likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Are you sure the clutch is adjusted properly down on the outside of the crankcase ?

There’s a pointer on the lever that needs to line up with “embossed mark” on the crankcase.

clutch.JPG
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Are you sure the clutch is adjusted properly down on the outside of the crankcase ?

There’s a pointer on the lever that needs to line up with “embossed mark” on the crankcase.

clutch.JPG
    Is that marker supposed to line up when the clutch is released? or when the clutch is pulled? It definately transits that line when I pull the lever. It goes past it when released, and goes past it when I pull the lever. Maybe its just the oil causing friction? I am running 0w-40 amsoil in the bike. It does move, but with alot of force. My other bikes would roll in gear as if in neutral, if the clutch is pulled. Also, when hit the starter in gear with the clutch pulled, the bike lurches forward abit. Again, oil?

*edit* I will try the adjustment to see if its just cable stretch, and will check the cables for binding etc *edit*

Thanks for the replies!

Howaa!
    Last edited by Drapes; 06-18-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    1989 Tw200
    1991 Tw200
    2008 WR250R
    2004 Ford Ranger FXR Lvl II

That mark on the crankcase is supposed to line up with the pointer on the lever with the clutch hand lever completely relaxed.

Loosen up the cable at the handlebars – then use the small nuts down below on top of the crankcase to line up the pointer on the lever to the mark on the crankcase – then take up any remaining slack on the cable at the handlebars.

Might be worth taking a quick picture of its original position just in case you need to reverse this procedure ………..
    jeffrolives likes this.

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Are you saying with the rear wheel in the air, in gear, clutch pulled, the wheel is spinning? If so, normal, every bike Ive ever had does that.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    That mark on the crankcase is supposed to line up with the pointer on the lever with the clutch hand lever completely relaxed.

Loosen up the cable at the handlebars – then use the small nuts down below on top of the crankcase to line up the pointer on the lever to the mark on the crankcase – then take up any remaining slack on the cable at the handlebars.

Might be worth taking a quick picture of its original position just in case you need to reverse this procedure ………..
    I think this is incorrect purple. Loosen the cables, then you have to pull off the clutch cover and adjust it from the inside lining up the mark, then pop a new gasket on the cover, put it on, then adjust the cables.
    Purple likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

LT – I’m working on the theory that it was set up correctly at the factory, but when that spring wasn’t done properly, someone may have fiddled about with it to try and get it working.

So – back to factory settings (externally) – and take it from there.

You’re quite correct in saying that the mark is set internally, yet the OP says it goes past that mark once released …………………
    Gerry likes this.

- Hidden Content

We don't know how many miles he has on the bike, but usually as the clutch plates get worn, it will slowly move away from that mark eventually needing to be adjusted internally. Normal procedure would be adjust inside, then adjust cables.

As far as it being difficult to get in any gear while not moving, this is normal for this bike. Oil changes help when it gets like this.

As to the question about clutch in, in gear, no rolling. If it only does this when cold, not running, (just trying to move the bike around), it is usually sticking clutch plates. They all do it once in a while. Just pull the clutch in and rock the bike forward and backwards as hard as needed until they let loose. You will feel it. This is also what causes the bike to lurch forward when first started and dropping it in gear to go.
    jeffrolives and Purple like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links