Rainy Days & Carbs
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Rainy Days & Carbs

Rainy Days & Carbs

Was in the carport watching the rain come down.

Been thinking about the carb thing you all do. Remove that little cover to get to the screw you loosen two and a half turns.
    Took off the side panels, and removed the gas tank. Hmmm. Sitting on my stool staring at the carb.

Looked pretty daunting. Finally removed the fuel hose and the other little hosey things.

I chickened out. BUT. I decided to try something other than removing the carb completely.

I went to the other side and removed the exhaust pipe. (I guess) Comes out the front and bends to the rear exhaust pipe. (?)

Next I was able to slide off a little electrical doodad at the brake switch.

Back to the other side I loosened the screws on the two rubber carb ends. One in front the other in back of carb.

Gently rotated carb so bottom came up on other (curb) side enough to get to bottom of carb. Sure enough it was covered. But I was able to give it a good tap with my ice pick. Hole was just enough
    for me to screw in a long self tapping screw. Pried it out and voila! Access to the screw. Turned it in
    and it was exactly 21/2 turns. Brought it out 3 turns and put it all back together.
    The whole deal took less than an hour and I spent considerable time looking for my ice pick.

The rain finally stopped this evening and I did a test run. Guess what? I couldn't tell any difference ~GiGGle~

Sure this won't work on older bikes cause those rubbers probably dry out and get stuck to the carb or whatever. But it worked for me on my '13.

Now you all can come on here and say big deal. We all knew about that. Haha.

Good for you! Maybe you should try shimming the needle tomorrow Just kidding of course. Funny thing is my 2013 was exactly one turn out. My butt dyno made me think maybe I got just a touch better throttle response in the mid range but I swear the upper range of the throttle seemed to flatten a bit. May just need my butt dyno calibrated My bike does start MUCH easier than before and I often need no choke. I found the biggest difference was how much cooler my engine runs. Seriously my engine runs much, much cooler!

Tom
    littletommy likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Tom. It's so hot here (South Fl.) I don't think I can tell the dif. I will give it a long ride tomorrow.

Got to get my riding in before summer vacation is over and I have to meet my new class.
    TWilight likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nippurr View Post
    Tom. It's so hot here (South Fl.) I don't think I can tell the dif. I will give it a long ride tomorrow.

Got to get my riding in before summer vacation is over and I have to meet my new class.
    Good point about the stifling heat down that way. Up here however we have wild temperature swings and I rode on fathers day in 80 degree temps. My engine was cooler after 90 miles of mixed road riding than it was a month ago when I rode the same general route in 55 degree weather. It really is a BIG difference. My only regret was cooking my engine more than I needed to just to preserve a one year warranty Should have done that carb tweak on day one.

Tom
    littletommy likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Actually this technique has been posted here before, but good on you for figuring it out on your own.

Can I ask you why, if the bike was running fine, did you come out another half turn?
    TWilight likes this.

When I opened mine to 2 1/2 turns (it was only open 1/2 turn before I started) it made a HUGE difference for the better. It went from barely running to an ultra reliable easy starting smooth running machine that was a pleasure to use.

I can understand why so many machines can be years old with just a few miles -- they run so crappy no one wants to ride them.
    littletommy and WECSOG like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by nippurr View Post
    Was in the carport watching the rain come down.

Been thinking about the carb thing you all do. Remove that little cover to get to the screw you loosen two and a half turns.
    Took off the side panels, and removed the gas tank. Hmmm. Sitting on my stool staring at the carb.

Looked pretty daunting. Finally removed the fuel hose and the other little hosey things.

I chickened out. BUT. I decided to try something other than removing the carb completely.

I went to the other side and removed the exhaust pipe. (I guess) Comes out the front and bends to the rear exhaust pipe. (?)

Next I was able to slide off a little electrical doodad at the brake switch.

Back to the other side I loosened the screws on the two rubber carb ends. One in front the other in back of carb.

Gently rotated carb so bottom came up on other (curb) side enough to get to bottom of carb. Sure enough it was covered. But I was able to give it a good tap with my ice pick. Hole was just enough
    for me to screw in a long self tapping screw. Pried it out and voila! Access to the screw. Turned it in
    and it was exactly 21/2 turns. Brought it out 3 turns and put it all back together.
    The whole deal took less than an hour and I spent considerable time looking for my ice pick.

The rain finally stopped this evening and I did a test run. Guess what? I couldn't tell any difference ~GiGGle~

Sure this won't work on older bikes cause those rubbers probably dry out and get stuck to the carb or whatever. But it worked for me on my '13.

Now you all can come on here and say big deal. We all knew about that. Haha.

I'm proud of you, you did alright. Try it and see how it goes. If it runs well or better, you did great. If it is hard to start, takes a long time to warm up, seems to run hot, needs the choke often to start it, it might need a little more adjustment. Keep us posted.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

What you did is an adjustment to the Pilot circuit. This is the air to fuel mixture ratio and determines if the bike runs lean or rich. Most bikes come from Yamaha adjusted rather lean so adding or richening them up a bit buy turning the pilot screw out a little is usually a good thing. The color of your spark plug end tells the most and you are looking for a tan color as opposed to black or white on the center porcelain part. You do not necessarily have to go with full half turns and instead it could be a very slight twist that brings it to just right. The only real adjustment is when the bike is fully warmed up and you can test it after each tiny twist to make sure it runs smooth all the way.

GaryL
    jbfla likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
    Actually this technique has been posted here before, but good on you for figuring it out on your own.

Can I ask you why, if the bike was running fine, did you come out another half turn?
    Raining too much to ride. Also I tried Gary's (?) tailpipe finger test for carbon (?) and there was no carbon.

(Still is none~GiGGle~) Was afraid to go more than a half turn all at once. Next time I will try another half turn.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    What you did is an adjustment to the Pilot circuit. This is the air to fuel mixture ratio and determines if the bike runs lean or rich. Most bikes come from Yamaha adjusted rather lean so adding or richening them up a bit buy turning the pilot screw out a little is usually a good thing. The color of your spark plug end tells the most and you are looking for a tan color as opposed to black or white on the center porcelain part. You do not necessarily have to go with full half turns and instead it could be a very slight twist that brings it to just right. The only real adjustment is when the bike is fully warmed up and you can test it after each tiny twist to make sure it runs smooth all the way.

GaryL
    Gary. Is it safe to infer there is another, better way to do this adjustment than what I did? I can't get a screw driver in there while it is hot.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links