Help....would love input....
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Help....would love input....

Help....would love input....

Okay, here goes..... I had plans to take my TW over to the Olympic peninsula this weekend for a few days to ride some logging roads with friends. Since someone gave me a set of free saddlebags I decided to possibly try leaving the blue milk crate packing system. So, I ordered the Cyclerack bag supports and secured the bags as best I could. Decided I had better give them a test run so rode the TW to work yesterday. While cruising along I felt like those saddlebags were creating a tremendous amount of drag, seemed way worse than I expected. I was full out and could only attain 61 mph, way less than my usual 68 - 70 mph. and the bike seemed to be really struggling on the long incline I have to go up.

After work I needed to head over to the valley, abut a 40 mile ride via back roads so I left the saddlebags on. The TW just didn't feel like her usual self so I was letting her poke along, I thought it was drag created from those saddlebags. Then while at a stoplight I tried to scoot up to talk to a friend that was riding along and I could barely duck walk the bike. It seemed to have friction while I had the clutch pulled in. So, of course I put it in neutral and it seemed no better. I felt like a lot of effort was put into getting the TW moving. Well, the rest of the ride felt like a struggle. I just wanted to get home but of course when it's getting dark and the bike isn't running quite right, I would run into road construction where I had to sit for over half an hour as we on occasion scooted forward. I couldn't seem to duck walk the bike, I got off several times while stopped at the road construction and I checked the linkage to the back brake, I even gave it a couple turns to loosen it....just in case. Of course, while sitting in that traffic jam I realized I had meant to check the oil the evening before while I was checking the tire pressure. How could I have forgotten to do that? Once we got moving again I felt like the TW was running horribly, like there was a lot of friction or resistance of some kind. I just kept puttering along, going through all the roadwork where we were moving along amidst a lot of machinery; I didn't want to stop until I got out of all that chaos but I was really worrying about the oil level now.

Once clear and back on my island I pulled over onto the shoulder where a couple on a Harley immediately followed to see what my problem was. As soon as I stopped I could smell something burning and the Harley couple said they smelled it as they turned the corner. I looked at the site glass and could see oil, it might be a bit low but there was oil. The Harley guy kind of gave the bike a quick look as I described what had been happening. His wife/girlfriend said her car was only a mile away and she wanted to run and get it and come give me a ride but she was three sheets to the wind and my house was only two miles away so I of course declined. They were very nice and followed me to make certain I made it home as did my friend that is learning to ride. Once I got home, the Harley guy told me my brake light was on the entire time. I thought that confirmed it.... the brake was hung up or something....that was my diagnosis.

I felt bad because I had planned on leading my friend home since this was her first time riding in the dark but she understood and she made it home safely. Okay, back to the TW, today after work another friend and his co-worker came over to check things out. Turns out the vertical linkage leading up to a switch or something (on the right hand side of bike) was bent. My friend straightened it out and wah-la..... the brake light shut off. He rode it up and down the street a couple times and so did his co-worker and they said it seemed fine to them but since they aren't familiar with the TW they thought I should give it a try. Wouldn't you know, everything seemed fine now so we topped off the oil and went on a nice little ride around the perimeter or town, up a steep hill.....everything fine. After they all left I decided to keep riding around town and run a few errands in hopes that if it happened again it will be near home. Eventually after stopping at the bank, I realized I hadn't secured the safety strap on my magnetic tank bag so I stopped on a hill, put it in neutral and secured the strap. When I took my foot off the brake on that fairly steep hill, the bike didn't try to roll backwards so I kind of tried moving it with my feet and could tell there was some kind of friction again. I went ahead and put it in gear and stillfelt that resistance as I started going. I felt it for a little while but is seemed to ease up a bit....I think. I was starting to doubt myself so I went ahead and rode home. When I pulled into the garage it seemed like I was hearing an unusual clatter but I had intentionally left my earplugs out on this ride so maybe it's just that the bike sounds louder. I'm not sure if I am now over analyzing or if there is an intermittent issue going on. Of course intermittent issues are the worst because it won't happen when someone is there to help diagnose.

So, what are your thoughts? Brakes, bearings, clutch, gears????
    TWilight likes this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Dette, can you get the rear tire off of the ground with a rear swingarm stand or something? If so, put the bike in neutral and and try to spin the rear tire with your hand with the motor off. It should spin freely. If not, it could be your rear drum brake hanging up. Can you push the bike around in neutral? (no stand now) Does it feel like you get any resistance from either the front or rear brakes?
    dette, littletommy and TWilight like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

This sounds like a break dragging to me also. If they are dragging just a bit they may roll easy at first when cold. Then as they heat up they expand and the friction gets worse. I have seen this more with disks when the caliper hangs up, pads drag and the caliper get crazy hot. I will drive/ride them around a while until they start to stick then lick a finger and touch the caliper or hub. I've seen them hot enough it will sizzle like touching a hot iron. If you have the Disk and caliper set up on the front sometimes they just need a little compressed air followed by some break cleaner. If old enough they may need a rebuild and new seals.

ADD: 2013 isn't nearly old enough to need a rebuilt caliper
    Last edited by sponge; 06-25-2015 at 12:15 AM.
    dette and littletommy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Larry, Mike and Sponge, thanks for the quick response to my post.

I don't have a lift but I am going to let my friend read these because I bet he has one in his garage. I actually did remove the saddlebags before going on tonight's rides and the supports are nowhere near the tires. I also used a headlamp to look pretty closely at the Scottoiler tube end because I had an image in my mind last night while pondering possibilities of it kind of sucked into the rear sprocket.

I will keep you posted but it may not be right away because I have still decided to take my planned trip to the Olympic Peninsula but we are going to do it on road bikes and make the best of it. So, the TW issue will be on the back burner until I return.

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by dette; 06-25-2015 at 12:34 AM. Reason: to add Sponge to my thanks
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Safe riding Dette! Have a great trip, enjoy the weather.
    littletommy, TWilight and dette like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Just FYI for those trying to help Dette here...her bike is a 2013 TW200, disc front brake, and I know it has well over 7000 miles on it.
    8,260 miles now.
    littletommy, TWilight, GTG and 1 others like this.

Not part of your issue but the "vertical linkage" you spoke of is supposed to be bent.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

The "smell something burning" could be the big clue. Do you know what burning brakes smell like? Different than burning oil. If you ever worked in a foundry you will know that smell.
    TWilight and littletommy like this.

Few years back, my rear brake wasn't releasing all the way. Turned out to be the brake shoe cam in the rear drum was rusty and needed proper cleaning and lubrication.

Not only was my TW hard to move as you described, but my foot brake lever didn't return all the way up either. Is your foot brake lever returning all the way or not? Something to look at.

Should a rear brake "hangup" be your problem, here is a possible cause.
    What it looked like in the "stuck" position. Note" the rusty powdery look.

What it looked like some time later after I cleaned and lubed it.

Hope you find the culprit soon, what ever the cause may end up being. Good luck and happy riding.
    TWilight, littletommy, GTG and 5 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Check to make sure the return spring from the brake pedal to the swing arm is connected. It is on the rod that goes to the rear drum lever and does two things, makes the pedal come back up and pushes the rear drum lever back. If your pedal does not spring back up to the normal non braking position this would cause the light to remain on and the brakes to be dragging.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links