Clutch Switch
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By supachip1

Thread: Clutch Switch

Clutch Switch

Newbie Just traded for a 2001 TW. Only thing I,ve found wrong with it is prior owner has removed the clutch switch and it will only start in neutral. So where is the connector for the clutch switch? I can,t find it anywhere. What,s the wire colors for the wires? Thanks Charlie

Hi Geezer, welcome to the forum!

The clutch switch is plugged into the clutch perch on the left handlebar. The switch and cable are shown in the picture below.

I hope this helps.

Brian

admiral, jeffrolives and GaryL like this.

Many years ago I had to replace my clutch perch because the TW fell over and broke it. A new clutch perch was going to cost $45 and had to be ordered. The dealer offered me a YZ80 clutch perch for $10 as a temporary solution. This YZ clutch didn't have a mirror mount or the slot for the clutch switch.

So I taped the clutch switch wires off separately and like your's, would only start in neutral. I only recently learned that if the wires are taped together, you can then start in all gears, but there is one downside to this. You can start it in gear without pulling in the clutch, thus it could cause the bike to surge forward over the cliff you are stalled on. Anyway, with the original clutch perch and connector, you can start in other gears, but will have to pull in the clutch. With the properly working and installed clutch switch, it won't allow you to start in gear without pulling in the clutch.

I can't understand the wiring diagram to tell you the color of the wires without looking at them. I'm not available to look presently.

Item number 8 is the clutch switch assy.

Last edited by admiral; 06-25-2015 at 10:17 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I knew where it plugged into the clutch, what I can,t find is where it connects into the wiring harness. Looked in the harness in steering head, no luck, Don.t know if wires where maybe cut somewhere in harness. Wiring color would help then I could wire them together or put a new plug on.
    Charlie

under the tank

Here is a link to where you can find the service and repair manuals. You will need to look in the '01 and newer supplement.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...r-manuals.html

The clutch switch cable is probably only about a foot long. It is probably connected into the main wiring harness somewhere behind the headlight. According to the wiring diagram, the colors of the clutch switch cable conductors should be Blue/White and Blue/Black.

the drum brake models have all the connectors behind the headlight cover, on the later models the ignition, start, clutch, front brake all join under the tank, the colours from memory were both black…my bikes are japanese models but i can't see that they have different wiring looms…..?
    boznarras likes this.

Sponosred Links