Headlight bulbs keep burning out!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Headlight bulbs keep burning out!

Headlight bulbs keep burning out!

OK, so hopefully some of you guys on here can tell me what's going on. First off, my Tdub is not stock, the headlight on my bike is as such.

Since I finished my bike, I have had chronic problems with the headlight bulbs burning out. I have gone through no less than four. At first, I thought it was the cheap headlight housing, which I suppose could be it. I was thinking the heat is frying the bulbs. I drilled some air holes in it and that didn't help at all. I tried 3 different brand bulbs and still, same thing. I can run with the light on and it will blow, then switch to highbeam and after a day or two of riding, it will also blow.

Any ideas? I have read that it could possibly be a voltage regulator problem?

My bike is a 2009 with about 2500 miles on it. Thanks for the help.

Bart
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nfpgasmask; 06-26-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Did you rewire or remove anything?

What bulb are you using? H4?

It may just be getting too hot. Some after market units have fans in them to help not blow the bulbs.
    Jon62602 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Did you rewire or remove anything?

What bulb are you using? H4?
    No, the wiring harness is stock. I am running a small Antigravity battery under the seat. And yeah, I believe that's right, H4, but I will have to check now that you mention it. I know I have tried a few different brands and I tried a couple with lower wattage. Same thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    It may just be getting too hot. Some after market units have fans in them to help not blow the bulbs.
    That was my initial thought. But I guess I don't get how it was fine in stock form and now with the new little headlight it constantly burns out. I even drilled a bunch of air holes through the back of the housing, no change.

This makes me wonder, are there LED bulbs that I could swap in relatively easily? Something with a high/low beam? I would think this would fix the issue.

Thanks.

Bart

Maybe something like this I could try?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-War.../dp/B00LMEQWMI

Bart

I don't have an answer for you Bart. Hopefully someone will though for you. You haven't been around for a while have you? I always liked your bike bro!!
    Jon62602 and will like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

rbm
    I think the LED would most likely solve your issue. Have you taken any voltage measurements?

What wattage are you using ?
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    No, the wiring harness is stock. I am running a small Antigravity battery under the seat. And yeah, I believe that's right, H4, but I will have to check now that you mention it. I know I have tried a few different brands and I tried a couple with lower wattage. Same thing happens.

That was my initial thought. But I guess I don't get how it was fine in stock form and now with the new little headlight it constantly burns out. I even drilled a bunch of air holes through the back of the housing, no change.

This makes me wonder, are there LED bulbs that I could swap in relatively easily? Something with a high/low beam? I would think this would fix the issue.

Thanks.

Bart
    The cyclops led works well and has a built in fan, I have it mounted in an old British style bucket. Pro cycle carries it, I think it's on the tw page. I'm hesitant to recommend that as a fix though at $60 or so a pop. I would get a multimeter and start looking around for anomalies on the bike starting at the headlights leads.

I've swapped to all LEDs and haven't burnt anything out.

Thanks, guys. I will check the voltage and see what's going on. How would that get messed up though?

Bart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links